HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixoutoften

Remove header to change oil filter?

10 posts in this topic

I just got the Dr. D exhaust for my 2007 YZ450 and I love it. My only complaint is that it seems I have to take off the header to remove the oil filter cover. Is this really necessary? Anybody have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Well, yes, but as I look at the header, it could so easily have been different. That's the thing that makes it a bit annoying to me.

Does anyone know the reason for the low-boy header, is it performance related or I assume it's designed to work with Dubach's radiator lowering kit?

If it is performance related you'd think they would could have angled the bend upward kind of like a stock CRF450R header

I assume it's designed to work with Dubach's radiator lowering kit?
That's the deal, right there. On the CRF, the intent was simply to give it a longer exhaust system without having the muffler extend beyond the fender.

But DRD could have, and maybe still will, in the future, made the header differently. By moving the bend that is above the clutch housing forward one inch, and then rotating the outer half of the first U bend upward slightly to meet it, it would clear the front pump cover bolt. It only needs an 1/8".

I just got the Dr. D exhaust for my 2007 YZ450 and I love it. My only complaint is that it seems I have to take off the header to remove the oil filter cover. Is this really necessary? Anybody have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

yep loosen the header nut and allenhead bolt....lift the header slightly - top oil filter bolt should slide out