HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCORPiON5150

Better than a Vapor computer?

20 posts in this topic

Just got my DS XR650R and loving it! I want to upgrade my Baja Designs speedo/odometer to a computer. Everyone and their brother is telling me to get the Vapor model. The Vapor does look nice, but does anyone know of something more high end or more bullet proof out there? YES I have used the search function, but alot of the threads I've been reading are years old. I intend on purchasing the Vapor next week unless someone steers me a different direction. Speed, RPM, Temp, overall durability, and the response time for the speedo are the most important features to me. I have $400 to play with so I'm sure I can get something pretty nice, just want something high end that will last.

Input anyone?

ICO is bullet proof but wont do the rpm and temp

I thought I needed the rpm on my vapor...but I never look at it anymore. You can listen and feel the motor just fine. As for the temp, the sensor stopped working, so i dont look at that anymore either.

overall, I haven't been too pleased with the quality of the vapor and wouldn't really recommend it. If you don't mind spending a little more money, go for the good sh*t!

I thought I needed the rpm on my vapor...but I never look at it anymore. You can listen and feel the motor just fine. As for the temp, the sensor stopped working, so i dont look at that anymore either.

overall, I haven't been too pleased with the quality of the vapor and wouldn't really recommend it. If you don't mind spending a little more money, go for the good sh*t!

Don't mind spending the $$ at all, just not sure what to get! I could even break my $400 cap if there is really something out there that stands out above the rest. I would LOVE to have something like the vapor but with GPS capabilities as well, but I don't know of such a device that exists. Seems that if you want the best of both worlds, you have to run both.

More suggestions anyone?

I got the vapor and it works fine for me I really don't use the tach that much its hard to look at when I am hauling butt lol. but the speedo works great and the tach does too. I like the fact that if i crash and break it it is cheap to replace.. I put my temp sensor on like this..

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/ej67ss/P1020059.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh217/ej67ss/P1020056.jpg

What about the trail tech "Vector?" Seems to be the next update to trail tech's line (5th gen. where the Vapor is 4th). Anyone running one? No tach built in but that's my least needed feature of the Vapor IMO .

What about the trail tech "Vector?" Seems to be the next update to trail tech's line (5th gen. where the Vapor is 4th). Anyone running one? No tach built in but that's my least needed feature of the Vapor IMO .

I have a Vector, it's been working fine and I am happy with it.

The WatchDog computer doesn't have the tach and temp measurements, but does have speed, distance, averages, lap times, etc, and also looks pretty durable:

Dugas Engineering - WatchDog

I haven't actually used this but was thinking about maybe getting one. Looks like it's currently on sale for their 10-year anniversary, BTW.

(Since you said temp and tach were important I wasn't going to post this, but figured maybe someone else may see the thread if they do a search later, so I figured I may as well anyway)

The WatchDog computer doesn't have the tach and temp measurements, but does have speed, distance, averages, lap times, etc, and also looks pretty durable:

Dugas Engineering - WatchDog

I haven't actually used this but was thinking about maybe getting one. Looks like it's currently on sale for their 10-year anniversary, BTW.

(Since you said temp and tach were important I wasn't going to post this, but figured maybe someone else may see the thread if they do a search later, so I figured I may as well anyway)

After doing a little thinking I have come to realize that the tach feature is really not very important to me. The temp is a nice feature, but from what I have been reading it seems most the computers that offer temp sensors have reliability issues with the sensors themselves - so the temp has lost at least SOME of value to me.

After reading several posts one thing I should probably add is that I ride year round rain or shine, and as odd as it may seem to some of you I actually ENJOY going out during the nastiest of nasty storms and trying to find some traction. This being the case water resistance is extremely important to me with any model I choose.

Starting to lean towards an ICO unit or possibly even the watchdog over a Vapor. I didn't even know some of these models or brands existed before!

Please keep the suggestions and info coming guys! This will likely be a usefull post for many.

Anyone disgusted with the speedo response time on ANY of the big name computers? Personally I can't stand when you look down under hard acceleration and instead of seeing a smooth transition in speed (20MPH, 21MPH, 22MPH, 23MPH as you accelerate) the display "chops" up: 15MPH, 22MPH, 27MPH, 30MPH, 35MPH, 45MPH, 50MPH

Can't say I've ever had an enduro computer that actually was THAT bad, but it's very typical for bicycle speedos and I absolutely would not want that on and motorcycle!

I'm just getting started on my XR650R and want to add a Vapor or equivalent. How easy are they to install. Not going to lie...electrical is my weak point when it comes to working on these beasts. I'll rip an engine apart in a sec, but for some reason am completely intimidated by anything electrical.

I like the motogadgets and the electrosports. Is anyone running those?

I have a vapor that died. I think it was either the vibration or the water from washing the bike. LEDs started to go out and I broke the speedo pickup. It was installed per the directions but yet a rock or branch managed to get in there and take it out.

My previous 650r has an Endurance (also trailtech) that is also dying. It reads all the same number across the display, but they change. Sometimes it reports oddball info if it feels like displaying something else.

Anyone disgusted with the speedo response time on ANY of the big name computers? Personally I can't stand when you look down under hard acceleration and instead of seeing a smooth transition in speed (20MPH, 21MPH, 22MPH, 23MPH as you accelerate) the display "chops" up: 15MPH, 22MPH, 27MPH, 30MPH, 35MPH, 45MPH, 50MPH

Can't say I've ever had an enduro computer that actually was THAT bad, but it's very typical for bicycle speedos and I absolutely would not want that on and motorcycle!

I run two different ICO computers on my two bikes and have experienced none of the above described issues. They must be dead on for enduro use as when coming into a tie breaker check you must be right in the middle of your minute for optimal score. I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS on the 650L as well as the ICO VRL and they both display the same speed over the road with no jumping around at all. I think you get what you pay for in a computer for your bike.