HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nfoley

First valve check, some questions

5 posts in this topic

Did my first valve check on 03 WR450.

Not sure if I am missing something but I only checked one intake and one exhaust - could not see how you could check 5 valves.

They were both in spec, on the tight side.

How do you check the other 3 valves??

Used the manual, everything seemed straight forward.

thanks in advance, nils

Did my first valve check on 03 WR450.

Not sure if I am missing something but I only checked one intake and one exhaust - could not see how you could check 5 valves.

They were both in spec, on the tight side.

How do you check the other 3 valves??

Used the manual, everything seemed straight forward.

thanks in advance, nils

Check em just like you checked the others. Just takes some diligence since its kinda tight in there. Pull the tank if you haven't already so that you can get to em. As a sidenote...don't let your ears fool you after you put it back together. You will probably start hearing all the stuff you never heard before as your ear will be tuned into EVERYTHING:p

Got the tank and everything off per the manual. But the pics in the manual show measuring distance under the cam lobes. Where are the other valves?

Are they more toward the timing chain? I don't think I need to do more disassembling to check them, according to the manual. thanks

Here's a pic of the intake cam, exhaust is the same except only has 2 lobes:

y4023-1in.jpg

Basically, I measure from the inside (center) since it's the easiest to get access from - you'll see little gaps between the cam bearings, this is where you slide your feeler into, it's actually quite easy.