HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djtroy

Linkage maintanence

8 posts in this topic

Hey

I am going to attempt to do maintenance on my 2006 yz450 linkage considering it has never been done. I am an average mechanic at best is there any special tools or lubes I might need to pick up before hand? Any special tips or trick on the 450's I might not know about? I plan on printing off a few older how to posts as some sort of a guide but I know you guys in here with the same bike might be able to help me out with some specifics.

Thanks

Use a quality waterproof grease.

Take your time!

Take lots of detailed pictures beforehand in case you forget how something goes back together.

Be careful the needles don't all fall out when you're packing the bearings. Perform the work somewhere you wont easily loose them if they do.

Keep track of what bolts/nuts/washers go where.

And again, take your time!!!! Its an easy job, just somewhat time consuming.

If you've never done it on an 06, odds are you will have to replace some bearings. If you do, you will learn why it is important to keep them greased. It is much easier to grease them once in a while than to change them.

Be patient and have something to help leverage the weight of the rear wheel - I suggest replacing the shock bearings as they are usually the first to go from normal wear. Pivot Works has a good kit for this and the other linkage bearings if they need replacing

Be patient and have something to help leverage the weight of the rear wheel - I suggest replacing the shock bearings as they are usually the first to go from normal wear. Pivot Works has a good kit for this and the other linkage bearings if they need replacing

Thanks Ill check em out.