WR450 2007 vs 2004 WR - Noisy Engine

Recently swapped from a 2004 WR450 to a second-hand 2007 WR450, and despite similar mileage the new one seems to make a lot more noise from the engine area, a sort of rattley tapping valve gear type noise.

The gaps are in spec, so was wondering if this is normal, if the YZF-based engine is just mechanically noisier?

Thanks for any advice/reassurance ;o)

TD

Does the newer bike have a metal skid plate on it? Mine makes some reverb noises so I added rubber stripping to the frame where the skid plate makes contact.

+1 on the bash plate

with mine on its little gremlins trying to get out

off i just hear normal noise

consider same milage less maintainance?

FWIW...I've had 2 different mechanics tell me that the '07WR450 engine is noisy and that it perfectly normal.

They both said independant of each other that valve adjustments will be a very rare occurance with normal maintenence on the engines.

-Jay

I've had both bikes, both bikes were "noisey" as you have explained despite valve clearances being in spec.... I have alum. skid plates on both... I think my 07' exhaust is quiter therefore allowing me to hear the engine a little more...

I was also surprised when i got my 07 wr 450, Came off xr 400. Wr much noisier. thought it was rattleing apart

Hasn't it been confirmed that its due to Yamahas tolerances on piston to cylinder clearances and the clutch hub primary gear?

That's what I've read in the YZF forums over the last few years.

All perfectly normal things.:busted:

Recently swapped from a 2004 WR450 to a second-hand 2007 WR450, and despite similar mileage the new one seems to make a lot more noise from the engine area, a sort of rattley tapping valve gear type noise.

The gaps are in spec, so was wondering if this is normal, if the YZF-based engine is just mechanically noisier?

Thanks for any advice/reassurance ;o)

TD

Man I can tell you this...I run an 05 and everything was sounding great until I started LISTENING really hard after my first valve adjust. Then I started hearing every little thing including the sound you refer to. I have been told that the FCR carb is a big noisemaker almost like two spoons slapping together and I think that the guy (INDY WR450) that told me said it is the slide thats making racket in there. Take off your airbox cover and remove your filter then fire it up and see if that noise is amplified. Other than that I think that you could put an ear near the clutch housing and see if that is the noise you are hearing. Its all noisy cuz its a single cylinder bike with everything possible spared for weight like the thin walled exhaust pipe...so just ride it like you stole it and if it folds, just build it back bigger.:busted::worthy::ride:

OK, not quite sure what to make of the replies but it does sound like these engines are perhaps not DRZ-smooth eh!

I previously owned a KTM-525 which was mechanically noisy but didn't have any one noise in particular to get paranoid about :busted:

Both the WR and KTM have noticeable clutch rattle - pull the lever and it stops.

My noise is coming from the left side cylinder area and kinda sounds like all the valve gaps are too loose. Which is not the case, so must be "normal" I guess!

TD

I have both an 07 and an 04 WR, and the 07 is for sure noiser than the 04, especially when at idle.

Steel frame absorbs some of the noise. Aluminum doesn't absorb the noise.

Hey,

I've also got an 07 and it sounds like a sloppy old lawn mower, only has 1500k's on it. Sounds like that valve noise you're talking about, I can also hear when I rev it..............was going to check the gaps but sounds like it's just the norm.

As it happens I sold the bike a few weeks ago with the intention of buying a new one.

But.... having a think for a bit as things like the noisy engine and rapid deterioration of the finish when used in wet UK conditions is putting me off a little, we will see.

TD