HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cj650

That time of the year

11 posts in this topic

Its that time of the year again...almost spring.:busted: . So i am getting my xr650r ready to ride. I need to get tires and chain and sprockets.(hate spending money:banghead: ) All i ride is trails and hill climbs so i need some ideas on what sized sprockets to use. So if you know post em' please.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com has some good prices on their "primary drive" gold x-ring chain...and their sprockets are cheap too.

I ride 15X45 for my on-road/ off-road ventures...but if your in the woods all the time, the stock 14X48 should fair pretty damn well I'd think....this bikes got so much torque that should be low enough.... just my $0.02

Thats what i was thinking

It has alot of torque so i was even thinking of gearing it up for the trails but i'll prolly go with stock

thanx

14 /48 is best for off raod, the stock gearing is tooo high and you are either in 1st all day on tigheter trails or 2nd on fatser ones. Plus the "loftability is enhanced" with 14/ 48 blip the gas to get the front up ....

14 /48 is best for off raod, the stock gearing is tooo high and you are either in 1st all day on tigheter trails or 2nd on fatser ones. Plus the "loftability is enhanced" with 14/ 48 blip the gas to get the front up ....

Stock gearing is 14X48 on an XRR....

I have a XRR also,and I'm thinking about putting 14/50 on my bike cause I never go to 5th gear where I ride.Rarely do I shift to 4th,only in open sections.

I've run two sets of the rocky mount. chain(the x-ring) and they are good stuff for the money.I ride lots of mixed stuff from fire roads to freeway to single track and the 14/47 seems to be a good mix for both worlds.

currently with 15-45 gearing, 1st gear is to much of a jump to do woods riding. I can chung along at 6-7 MPH at 1600-1700 RPM's. Anything under 6 MPH and you have to slip the clutch:thumbsdn:

I run 14-48 for trails and dirt roads. Way to buzzy on the street at 60.

I ride tight trails and go as fast as i can. I have 14-48. seems a little low actually. But i think i am gonna stay with it cause i am gonna get hurt anyway. Keepin it geared lower will reduce that...hopefully.

haha

I run 13-48 for real tight woods and long twisty hill climbs and I run the stock 14-48 for everything else. Pretty easy to change the c/s sprocket and you don't have to cut the chain just readjust it. My 02c..

Also, I've been using the IRONMAN sprockets and have over 1000 miles on one and it still looks brand new. So if you want sprockets you won't need to replace any time soon, take a look at the IRONMAN sprockets.