'87 XR600R tire/rim question

Here is my brother on his 1987 XR600R.

100_1158.jpg

Here's the problem. He needs a new back tire in the worst way. I can't find a decent back tire for the 17" rim though. We ride in a lot of mud and soft terrain. What would be the easiest way to upgrade to a 18" rim? Will a later model bolt on or would he be better off buying a new rim and spokes? Appreciate the help guys, hope you get a laugh out of the picture.

Consider the IRC VE33. When I was stuck with a 17 inch rim it was my tire of choice.

I think that one of the later drum braked 18 inch rim XR600 wheels just drop in, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the reply. Does anybody else know what year rim I would need to switch to an 18"?

Thanks for the reply. Does anybody else know what year rim I would need to switch to an 18"?

My XR600R is a 1998 and it has a 18" rear rim. I run a 130 x 18 IRC for hard terrain

I used to run Cheng Shin C760 17" tires on my '85 XR350. It is a Metzler Multicross knock-off that works pretty good.

There's a much greater selection for 18" tires, but there are still lots of 17" tires available out there. Check out Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, Part #s 1044580002 and 1034090005. Also Cycle Mart has lots of 17" meats, check out the Maxxis M6001 (looks nasty!) and M6006.

The XR600 got an 18" wheel in 1988. They switched to disc brake on the rear in '91 I believe.

What about getting another hoop and some spokes? I've never tried anything like this before but if he could just find another 18" rim and have it switched to his. Do most bikes have the same # of spokes?