250 or 450?

ok so im 5'9 im 15 and 185 lbs. i have a fully modded klx 300r and i ride pretty heavily rocky/tight trails, but i also am going to do some races in mass this yr. i am gonna get 1 of the 2 bikes,(250,450) but im worried the 450 might be too tough in the trails, what is your experience/ opinions?

thanks, Kevin w.

Hey Kevin, had you looked very closely in one of the sticky's, Clark4131 pretty much settles the whole 250 vs 450 debate. Since I'm such a nice guy here is the link:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473960

But the answer to your question also depends on what year WR450F are you looking at? I have a 2003 and it is a handful for me in the East Coast technical trails and I am actually seriously considering downsizing to a 250 but then again I am also a beginner, 5'8", fat(195lbs), out of shape, and with a bad back(I have a ton of other excuses too). I hear the 2005's and 2007's carry their weight much better.

Anyhow, good luck with your choice and either way you should be happy/sad as the grass is always greener ...

get a 07 or newer 450 and you'll be very happy... i'm really glad i didn't get the 250 and i'm 5'6" chunky 200#'s

are you a fit 185?

I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. I'm at best a good C rider. I have a 2004 WR450 and I ride mostly tight, rocky northern NJ trails and eastern PA trail junk. When I first got my 450 I thought it would be a total handfull in the tight woods...and it was .....until I revalved/resprung my suspension for my weight and added a Scott's stabilizer. Now I absolutley love this bike.:busted:

Just my 2 cents.

I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. I'm at best a good C rider. I have a 2004 WR450 and I ride mostly tight, rocky northern NJ trails and eastern PA trail junk. When I first got my 450 I thought it would be a total handfull in the tight woods...and it was .....until I revalved/resprung my suspension for my weight and added a Scott's stabilizer. Now I absolutley love this bike.:busted:

Just my 2 cents.

Hey CPR1, I think my main issue is not the handling necessarily it is the massive amounts of power the bike creates. Sometimes I feel I have to be so careful with the throttle and the clutch(perhaps a rekluse would help) that I am on the imminent verge of an accident. Definitely I need to learn how to ride better. But I feel kinda bad that I barely put my bike in anything other than 1st, 2nd, and barely 3rd gear.

ok so im 5'9 im 15 and 185 lbs. i have a fully modded klx 300r and i ride pretty heavily rocky/tight trails, but i also am going to do some races in mass this yr. i am gonna get 1 of the 2 bikes,(250,450) but im worried the 450 might be too tough in the trails, what is your experience/ opinions?

thanks, Kevin w.

The 450, while good for your ego, will not be no-where near as good as the 250 in the tight trails.

Many people have 450's (like me) and have a lot of fun with them. Its a great bike I can playride on (playride = stop and rest). But I started racing last year and that bike gets very, very heavy after the first hour or so. Racing is mentally and physically exhausting.

I'm 5-9, 210lbs and I am going to get a 250 for racing. I'm most likely going two stroke for racing because you need the bike to be as light as possible when you race.

Hey CPR1, I think my main issue is not the handling necessarily it is the massive amounts of power the bike creates. Sometimes I feel I have to be so careful with the throttle and the clutch(perhaps a rekluse would help) that I am on the imminent verge of an accident. Definitely I need to learn how to ride better. But I feel kinda bad that I barely put my bike in anything other than 1st, 2nd, and barely 3rd gear.

I know what you mean about the power pulse that the 03-04 WR450's have. I changed my gearing to a 14-49 combo and it did help. My next mod is going to be a Rekluse clutch kit, and that should calm the bottom end "chug" factor down a bit more.:busted:

5 11" 200lbs wr450 (05)

out of shape and love to ride

trail riding is different than" goat pathing"

if you think your a goat then the 250

out of my 23 years of riding the 450 is the most capable machine that i ever owned. and it can on occasion whoop the dog snot out of you in a hurry.

around here we use 3 diffret gear setups

15 54-58 acting as a goat

14-50 trails

14-40 for the street

then the xr200 when we become a mountain goat

ok, thanks everybody!, by the way, im a fit 185 :busted: