Big ass lights on an L...stator issue?

If I remember correctly the L is rated for 180 or 190 watts. That gives you quite a bit of extra watts to play with. My guess is that you could go to about 150 watts of headlight and still keep the battery charged.

The simplest thing to do is just use a higher wattage bulb. Don't remember if the 650L uses a H4 bulb, but if it does there is a wide selection avaliable. I have a H4 setup on my XR600 and run a 90/100 watt bulb on my high output stator.

Hey Coolidge, where'd ya get them big ass lights?

Me thinks me needs a set! :worthy::busted::blah:

....That was the 1st time I got an actual deal on Epay :ride:

They are the dual 100w PIAA halogen (same that Ricky Stator sells) for a mere 75-bucks! One lamp is a pencil beam, and the other is a wide beam. They are sweet. Will be trying them soon. R.Stator sells thse units new for only 259.00+/- The HID dual lights are well over a grand from BD!

I put a Extreme Bright White PIAA halogen bulb in my the stock headlight on my '94 XRL that draws 55/60 but supposedly puts out 100/110. It's definitely an improvement over stock. Then I added two Trail Tech HID lights (HID is low draw) mounted on the turn signal ears, one spot and one flood. I have an LED 1157 replacement taillight bulb and LED turn signals to reduce draw as well.

This setup has worked very well for me. I used them for pre-running the 2007 Baja 1000. The race bike (XR650R) had dual 8" Halogens on it (one spot/one flood). They worked good on the wide open sections but were overkill when the course was tighter. They also weigh a ton and affected handling quite a bit. I would have rather raced with what I had on my pre-runner. If we race it again, we're going to a smaller, lighter setup.

....That was the 1st time I got an actual deal on Epay :busted:

They are the dual 100w PIAA halogen (same that Ricky Stator sells) for a mere 75-bucks! One lamp is a pencil beam, and the other is a wide beam. They are sweet. Will be trying them soon. R.Stator sells thse units new for only 259.00+/- The HID dual lights are well over a grand from BD!

Do you plan to ride on the road at night? What are you going to do so you don't blind oncoming traffic?

That was a great score for $75.

I put a Extreme Bright White PIAA halogen bulb in my the stock headlight on my '94 XRL that draws 55/60 but supposedly puts out 100/110. It's definitely an improvement over stock. Then I added two Trail Tech HID lights (HID is low draw) mounted on the turn signal ears, one spot and one flood. .

I like the idea of the HID's.

Not knocking the PIAA bulbs, but if you get a "real" high wattage bulb you will see a lot more light. Those PIAA high output bulbs get more light from the same watts by running a hotter filament. That comes with a shorter life and fragility. There is a ton of BS marketing that goes on with bulbs. A good no BS source is http://www.rallylights.com/ They have many different higher wattage bulbs available all the way to 100/130.

Do you plan to ride on the road at night? What are you going to do so you don't blind oncoming traffic?

That was a great score for $75.

No, these are for the rare night rides, or long off-road rides that may end up in darkness (like next Cal City to Primm ride) Unfortunately they dont feature the quick release like BD, and I agree w/evomx971, they are a bit heavier. But when you need light....you need light

So I ride a lot of fire roads at night and would love big race lights to spot the deer, do I need to get my stator rewound? I have an 07 "L". I've found places that rewind for an R but not an L.

I don't want to steer ya the wrong way, or piss anyone off in this forum....

But stay clear of the marketing of PIAA Super Whites (or any coated or too good to be true bulb)... save your money.

If you want a bright halogen... either run a 100W 8" light, and figure out your stock stator demands and output capacity. Even a Sylvania Silver Star is a superb Halogen bulb... but they are a bit costly over std. halogen. Still better than a PIAA Super White, and I'll bet money on it.

OR....

Step up to a single, or even a dual HID. Yes... I know, big bucks. But even a single 4" HID puts out incredible light. Bump that to an 8" reflector and your producing great light with great focus (minimal loss of light). And a single HID can run on most any stock stator like your L. Especially because your one step ahead of the game, you've got a battery!

Check out HIDStore.com for more on HIDs... And CLeonards link to that site was great advice too. I can't believe that site is still around. I used them LONG ago.

just ordered a set of dual 4" fuego halogens from BajaD. what do you guys think about those have not heard of many reviews. Mostly for street are they bright or too bright for the street? And are they considered medium ass lights since they are not 8". BajaD said they will work fine with a stock stator, But I already have a Electrosport stator Shhhhh....:busted::worthy:

just ordered a set of dual 4" fuego halogens from BajaD. what do you guys think about those have not heard of many reviews. Mostly for street are they bright or too bright for the street? And are they considered medium ass lights since they are not 8". BajaD said they will work fine with a stock stator, But I already have a Electrosport stator Shhhhh....:worthy::ride:

You'll LOVE them....

The size of the light, is only the focul point. Not necessarily how bright it is. The 4" Fuegos are a great light... and do wonders in the dark. Running (2) 8" lights in comparison would look goony, and be overkill from running down to get some milk. :blah:

You'll have to only run one on the street for it to not blind anyone. Aim it down at your front fender and to the right. As most you can. Keep it out of oncoming headlights or you'll end up in a grill.

And then use the other, as your high beam. (You can wire your bike for this as well... instead of toggles on top of the Fuego guard/mount). Aimed where ever it works for you. Then when in the dirt... move the low beam to the sweet spot in front of you.

... again, great purchase... you'll love them! A full report of how you like them is a must. :busted:

• 2 months later...
Im in the process of installing 200w Moose stator. Got some 'big ass lights' I gotta hook up!

clamp022.jpg

how do those mount up, i want to run some on my xr650l. they used to sell just one, now they list a bunch for diff models. i want 55W bulbs for the street, and they only list those for the xr250. the 250 has smaller forks i think, but i figured it was a universal mounting system. the one for the xr600 comes with 100W, and i dont want to pay for 55W bulbs. i emailed ricky stator twice, but havent had a day off to call yet. also, does it seem like theres enough room behind/above the lights for wiring. i was thinking about chopping the number plate up and trying to mount it above the lights as well.