Replacement options for taillight on XR650L

I went "old school" to get rid of that TV set hanging off the fender. I went to the Acerbis dual sport light. I think this light is very similar to the old 400-600 stock set up. It's got a stock looking lens with a clear bottom to shine on the plate and it lays the plate more or less on the fender. Went on fairly easy. Just thought I'd give ya another option. OGB

I also did the Baja Design LED Taillight with the CFR rear Fender. Looks awesome.

That's a nice looking L.... It almost makes me want one.

(I've been secretly looking at a more DS bike to ride for 'fun')

How's that little red BajaD tail light working out??

For you guys running the CRF fender and BAJAD tail light assembly... read on;

If it doesn't feel safe enough... check this thread out;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406416

It's an amazing difference... and really helps out the day time riding, and being seen from behind!

:busted:

And can ya update your "garage" for that XR?? :worthy: Looks like it needs some love. (or really, I just need to read up on your mods and secrets). haha

Ya, I know. I've been neglecting my garage! I will do it this weekend sometime. Thanks!

I like the look of Percyco's bike so much I just ordered the WPS from the TT store. Only about thirteen bucks but the shipping was a tad high IMHO - 7 and change for UPS ground. Still, not bad. Now I can't wait to get it. Shoulda done overnight delivery for three bazillion bucks:busted: :busted:

I've got the Maier XR style tail light. The brightness/quality is great. I put the thing on though, rode maybe 1 mile on the street and the thing is burnt out! What do I need to do differently??? I bolted it straight onto the fender so it vibrates a ton...and it may have flung some water in there from some street puddles, so those are likely candidates. I've got a new bulb coming, but I want to make sure and not screw something up again. How do I make the bulb last? Your thoughts?

I like the look of Percyco's bike so much I just ordered the WPS from the TT store. Only about thirteen bucks but the shipping was a tad high IMHO - 7 and change for UPS ground. Still, not bad. Now I can't wait to get it. Shoulda done overnight delivery for three bazillion bucks:busted: :worthy:

Gee........thanks ! :busted:

I've got the Maier XR style tail light. The brightness/quality is great. I put the thing on though, rode maybe 1 mile on the street and the thing is burnt out! What do I need to do differently??? I bolted it straight onto the fender so it vibrates a ton...and it may have flung some water in there from some street puddles, so those are likely candidates. I've got a new bulb coming, but I want to make sure and not screw something up again. How do I make the bulb last? Your thoughts?

Just the luck of the draw... You really cant do much to eliminate the vib. on these big singles.

Maybe try to seal the light housing with a LIGHT coat of silicone to keep H2o out.

My BD LED taillight has over 3000 miles and no failure yet.

Martin, nice bike. What rack is that? It looks good.

Pro Moto Billet. Its aluminum, light and strong.

I will be updating my garage later today after softball practice!:applause:

As GB says "old school is cool"

091244251.jpg

I went with the WPS Dual Sport light and it worked out good. I did have to splice the wires, but no big deal. Thanks again, guys.

Just the luck of the draw... You really cant do much to eliminate the vib. on these big singles.

Maybe try to seal the light housing with a LIGHT coat of silicone to keep H2o out.

My BD LED taillight has over 3000 miles and no failure yet.

So I figured it out, and just thought I'd post my findings for the benefit of my fellow riders. Turns out that on this particular Maier light, the two wires that are soldered into the little circle plate inside the bulb socket are loosely fitted and were actually able to touch each other. This is why the light worked great with the engine off, and once started had vibrated into each other. I just got in there with a dremel and ground a little more clearance between the two. Presto.:applause:

Got my WPS on the other night too!

Easy & cheap option:excuseme:

DSCN2314.jpg

Yep, that's the one:prof:

I'm doing the Cadillac taillight mod.

I remove the stock taillight and replace with something "cooler" so my friends will think more of me.

Then at a redlight I get a Cadillac plowing into the back of me until all you can see is the taillight. Viola, instant custom.

Out of my thirteen Honda bikes from Trail 90 to SuperHawk 996 the XR has the smallest taillight by far. But hey.