Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LM8946

Milk Crate Stand

16 posts in this topic

I have read a dozen posts on milk crates stands, but they don't discuss size or show pictures.

What size milk crate works for a 450 MX bike stand and where do you get them from? The only crates I see in the stores around here are 13" cubes, yet you need 17"+ to get the bike off the ground.

What am I missing :busted: ?

Photos?

Thanks!

For my Son's KX65, I just used a regualr Milk Crate - it's perfect - a piece of plywood as a lid with a couple of hinges, great for storing all those track necessities.

For a 450, you can just build a sub frame out of 2x4's or 2x6's and screw in on through the bottom to raise the crate.

I've seen one where the wood frame had a plywood bottom to it, the milk crate flipped using hinges and it allowed you to store stuff in the sub frame.

For a full size bike, just cough it up and get a real stand. You can get one for around $50 or so.

I use an old school wooden milk crate. I have a couple and they have worked great for years.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=48155

Not try to get this thread off topic, but how do you get the bike up on the milk crate? (sorry, I'm a newb...)

Not try to get this thread off topic, but how do you get the bike up on the milk crate? (sorry, I'm a newb...)

you pick up the bike and set it on like any other stand haha. by the way the yamaha on the old wooden crate is si

what i have seen that works great is a folding chair. they work awesome and its pretty unique to see a bike on a chair

You pick it up and set it on the stand. Stand beside the bike, grab it under the rear fender just behind the number plate opposite your body, and lift it up on there. You can use your leg to help push it onto the stand.

you pick up the bike and set it on like any other stand haha. by the way the yamaha on the old wooden crate is si

what i have seen that works great is a folding chair. they work awesome and its pretty unique to see a bike on a chair

You pick it up and set it on the stand. Stand beside the bike, grab it under the rear fender just behind the number plate opposite your body, and lift it up on there. You can use your leg to help push it onto the stand.

That's what I was afraid of. Lol, guess I'll need a guy to help me out with that one. Thanks for the replies, and sorry for getting slightly off topic.

In the good old days we all had the milk crates like the old yz is sitting on. Stolen from the local grocery store. Not sure of the dimensions but they would hold 6 gallon jugs of milk.

Nowdays I have only seen these at some of the Oriental stores. They were good stands. There was always the humor factor when using them. They all had some sort of legal warning on them..somethign like a 500.00 fine if you were caught stealing one.

I use a plastic 5-gallon bucket.

Tried that once. Pulled the rear tire and shifting weight instantly crushed the bucket. Man that was fun.

I made one out of plywood. It looks decent and works like a dream. The next one will be of higher quality plywood, have handles and possibly some storage space. I can't really think of a better use for half a sheet of ply:thumbsup: :busted:

NewGraphics013.jpg

NewGraphics003.jpg

For a full size bike, just cough it up and get a real stand. You can get one for around $50 or so.

It’s not the cost that I am concerned with, it’s the storage. I have not pulled the trigger on an enclosed trailer yet, so loading/unloading/hauling/storing is the issue.

Additionally, I am always trying to "maximize efficiency" and curious how others make their "system" work. It’s an incurable disease I have had for years.

It’s not the cost that I am concerned with, it’s the storage. I have not pulled the trigger on an enclosed trailer yet, so loading/unloading/hauling/storing is the issue.

Additionally, I am always trying to "maximize efficiency" and curious how others make their "system" work. It’s an incurable disease I have had for years.

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Products_Page.html

Some Cool stuff goin in my rig.