Finally changed my gearing - what a difference!

I've been debating for a long time about changing the gearing on my 650L. I've read all of the threads, etc. When I'm in the dirt, I'm on the clutch a lot and really wish I had lower gears, but since I do a lot of highway commuting, I was worried about high RPMs.:busted:

I decided to try a 14 tooth front this weekend and see what happens...

It's GREAT!!! I could stay off the clutch, had much better response, and it pulls the front end off just by thinking about it!:ride:

I decided to ride it to work this morning (even though it was only 36 degrees) and see how it would do on the highway...

No problem! It cruised easily at 75 mph (until I saw the :blah: up ahead) and still had plenty of revs available.

I wish I had done this a long time ago!:worthy:

Now, just wait until you swap that rear sprocket for a 48....The bike will really come alive. It is widely known that 650L's, and most bikes from major manufacturers today suffer from lean jetting and tall gearing from the factory. My 650L is running 14/48 gearing and I can do roll-ons in third gear at around 35-40 mph. Now I am thinking about a 13 front, hmmm....:busted:

• Like 1

Now, just wait until you swap that rear sprocket for a 48....The bike will really come alive. It is widely known that 650L's, and most bikes from major manufacturers today suffer from lean jetting and tall gearing from the factory. My 650L is running 14/48 gearing and I can do roll-ons in third gear at around 35-40 mph. Now I am thinking about a 13 front, hmmm....:busted:

I started thinkin about changing the rear. How's your highway speed with the 14/48 combo?

I hear the 13 can be a little hard on chains.

I think the 13 tooth sprocket itself wears fairly quickly, and if you don't replace it on time then the worn 13 will cause premature chain wear.

If you swap out that 13 for a new one as soon as it starts to hook/wear, I think chain life will be about what you get with a 14.

Dave

with a 48 rear you can do like Martin does and a quick swap from 14 to a 15 front and keep it good for freeway, hard if your on a ride where you know your gonna be dirt and street but if your going one place or another you can do the quick swap. Never get the best of both but youll find what you like best overall.

The smaller the sprocket is the more of a angle the chain link has to move. It takes less power to run the same gear ratio with bigger gears than smaller gears.

I thought this was B.S. until a bicycle manufacturer showed me with a display at a trade show.

with a 48 rear you can do like Martin does and a quick swap from 14 to a 15 front and keep it good for freeway, hard if your on a ride where you know your gonna be dirt and street but if your going one place or another you can do the quick swap.

Yeah, unfortunately most of my riding is mixed: I ride home from work and hit my little trail for a few minutes, or, I ride about 15 miles away to my local ORV park.

If I trailered it, then I could set it up strictly for the trails. But then again, it's kind of fun coming off the trail, riding straight through the parking lot and going right onto the highway while everyone else is busy loading their bikes :busted:

with a 48 rear you can do like Martin does and a quick swap from 14 to a 15 front and keep it good for freeway, hard if your on a ride where you know your gonna be dirt and street but if your going one place or another you can do the quick swap. Never get the best of both but youll find what you like best overall.

I found the best of both.it's called an "R":p