Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickshull

07 yamaha yz450 cut silencer

15 posts in this topic

ok, i cut my silencer 5'' sorter. i like it runs graet lil louder, but i dont have that hideous long pipe sticking out of my bike! what i would like to know is will this f%$# my motor up in the long run. has anybody had any trouble from doing this? so far its been great. i just dont whant to jack my motor up over somthing cosmetic. if u know what i mean. if someone has any advice for me please share it with me. i realy dont think it will hurt it, but other opinions are allways good! thanks.

i can't think of a reason why it would do any harm to your motor, you may end up repacking it more often, but i've got the stock pipe on my 07 and i'm lucky to get 10hrs or so out of fresh packing.

I can't see it hurting the bike in the long run. We're not talking about cutting up a two stroke pipe here.

I can see it being louder.

How did you go about cutting it. And how much louder does it make it sound. I was just going to try to buy an 08 yZ450F stock exhaust off of ebay.

Did you have any trouble shortening it? what tools did you end up using,and what worked best in doing so?

used a chopsaw for steel, cut off however much you want off, then cut 4 little slices in the pipe like a cross, then taper it a little you'll see when u do it ,its easy. use like metal sheers. then drill out your rivits slide the end cap out. then put it in the new cut peice, you mite have to use a razer knife and clean up the edges of the can, then make marks and drill out the new rivit holes rivit and botta bing its done! hope this help you. good luck its fairly simple. peace hommies!............. so you need a chopsaw, rivit gun, razer knife, metal sheers, drill and skills .....lol!

Thanks Nickshull, I'll try it once I pass inspection to be street legal. I do not want them saying my bike is too loud. :busted: Yamaha really made the 07's quiet. So I'm thinking it should be able to pass. Thanks dude:thumbsup:

when you say put 4 little slices like a cross are you talking about to the CORE?? Doesn't the core need to be slightly shorter than the can?? I have a new PMB S/A endcap waiting to mount and am seriously considering just chopping 3 or 4" off that can!! Thanks!!

ok, i cut my silencer 5'' sorter. i like it runs graet lil louder, but i dont have that hideous long pipe sticking out of my bike! what i would like to know is will this f%$# my motor up in the long run.

don't you think that asking this before you cut the silencer would have been better?

you may have gained some low end torque, but probably killed the top end performance

ya it did some weird s%$# but i messed with my gearing and its good now. 14/50 is what im running now, ya it seemed like i had more top end and less low end everyone says its the other way, but i felt it in the top end. w..e.i.r.d! hope this helps!