HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sj269

Increasing percieved bulb output on BD kit

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever tried to scrape the coating off the tip of a headlight bulb to increase its output? I can't think why the manufacturers coat the tips in an opaque coating. I realize you could possibly compromise the bulb, but do you all think it would work if I was careful? Im gonna try it.

I have a 650R with a BD kit and a 35w headlight bulb and was going to upgrade to a 55w, think Ill try this too.

Has anyone ever tried to scrape the coating off the tip of a headlight bulb to increase its output? I can't think why the manufacturers coat the tips in an opaque coating. I realize you could possibly compromise the bulb, but do you all think it would work if I was careful? Im gonna try it.

I have a 650R with a BD kit and a 35w headlight bulb and was going to upgrade to a 55w, think Ill try this too.

Running the 55w in a BD's kit will drain the battery. The best bang for the buck for higher light output is to rewind the stator, then install a PIAA 80/80w bulb in the BD's lense. Then, if needed you can upgrade your lighting at anytime. :busted:

+1 ^^^

I tried running the 55w bulb w/stock stator w/BD kit. In no time the horn or blinkers didnt work due to drainage. I agree w/Phillipstjohn, either rewind stator, or just get a replacement stator. The Moose unit I got is 200w or 100w x2.

Put a 200w ricky on my XR 600R and solved mt B/D kit problems. I added two 35w wide beams and helped. Running a 100W bulb in the L, and that is 5X the 600R's lights. It is not as trail worthy, but it is bright!!!