Bringing back the XL's to life?

Alright so I got 2 free bikes from sony, they were used in CHIPS. Anyway, they've been sitting for years w/o being touched. Whats the best way to start these up again. Of course the obvious oil change, spark plugs... Any thing that i'm missing?

TIA!

We owned a mid 80s xl600 and it was the twin carb model. These carbs were not much fun to work on. So the worst thing will be to clean the carbs if it was not properly drained when put away. Good luck.

oh, completely forgot about that thx. got anything else?

Just a little oil in the spark plug holes can really help the bike start for the first time. Put some in the top end through the valve adjustment caps to get some lube there as well. Other than that change the oil and dump out the old gas. If gas was left in the carbs then they will need to be cleaned out.

Other than that the bikes should fire right up. I've done this with a few old bikes and that was all that I had to do to get them going.

speaking of spark plug, is there a special way to get to them since they are blocked by the frame...

If they have metal gas tanks, you'll need to clean them out. If they sat up for a while, they may have some rust in there from condensation.

oh ur right, forgot about the metal tanks, how would i go removing rust from the inside?

As long as the tanks were sitting with old fuel in them, there should not be any rust in them. If there IS rust, your in for a little trouble.

I've been restoring an old 84 XL 350 that sat for a long time as well, and the carbs have been a major headache. Heres what to do...

Take the carbs off, and flip them over.

Take the jets out of each, pilot jets, and the jet the main jet screws into, and soak all of those in carb cleaner for like a day.

Do NOT separate the two carbs, as this wil screw up the carb adjustment that Honda originally set in there.

If you feel confident, it would be good to take the slides out, and then spray the crap out of everything with carb cleaner, including linkage.

Before you put everything back together, make sure to to THOROUGHLY blow everything out with compressed air.

If the tank had old gas in it, drain the old stuff, and put new stuff in. Slosh the new stuff around, and run it through the petcock on both 'on' and 'reserve'. Drain it, and it should be fine, as long as there is no rust.

If there IS rust, I would say take it to someone that works on old metal gas tanks, like someone who helps to resore classic cars, and see if they can get the rust out. Usually they can.

And one more thing before you try starting it; GET A NEW BATTERY! The old XL's don't like starting on a dead battery.

I've used kreem in several tanks on the vintage sl,cl and xl's weve been restoring.

Awsome stuff!:busted:

If it is rusted inside the tank.. Take a bottle of navel jelly a hand full of pea gravel a little water put it all in the tank.Seal it,wrap it in a old sheet put that in a box through it in the dryer under fluff setting (no heat) and let it tumble for an hour or so.

Wash out with soap and water,rinse.

like new again.

what type of oil should i use for this bike?

SJockey, That is a great idea! A low tech, high yield result I'm sure. Good thinking!:busted:

BHD, A quality 10w-40 is good for winter, and 20W-50 for summer. I like to use Honda's brand of oil in my XRL.

SJockey, That is a great idea! A low tech, high yield result I'm sure. Good thinking!:busted:

BHD, A quality 10w-40 is good for winter, and 20W-50 for summer. I like to use Honda's brand of oil in my XRL.

I came up with that after a 69 HODAKA super rat restore i did last year.The tank was so bad when i got the layers of rust out it looked like swiss cheese.Then i used a aircraft type tank liner.It was like rubber.Iv'e used the Kreem before but the cost of the total kit is kinda spendy.