How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: one is better than none. hopefully he is a s dedicated as the frostbite himself. 6 inches of snow last night. looks like I'm going to need a ski soon. I was riding this time last year on dry ground. maybe we won't burn up this summer like last. Do you have problems with the plastic cracking in the cold?

"Global Warming" according to Al Gore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

What is that guy going to do with that wr with no spikes and no ski ? Am I wrong in thinking that ranger is two wheel drive ? what good would that be up there ? I guess it's so cold up there that the snow is not slippery .

satisfiedcustomer.jpg

Ps . I sent your speedo sending unit out . it was only 3 bucks don't worry about it.

What is that guy going to do with that wr with no spikes and no ski ? Am I wrong in thinking that ranger is two wheel drive ? what good would that be up there ? I guess it's so cold up there that the snow is not slippery .

Ps . I sent your speedo sending unit out . it was only 3 bucks don't worry about it.

Thanks for the unit Tweav, I owe you one.:thumbsup:

The ranger is 2WD, and useless. I wanted him to back up to my step so we could roll the bike right into the truck, but the middle of the road is as close as he could get.

So far the WR is sitting in his living room, BUT, he stopped by today and asked me if I'd consider building him a set of tires and ordering a ski, so he's starting to wear down.

I studded up my track and popped it on the 450 this afternoon. We had almost a foot of powder overnight so it was a good test, and it passed with flying colors. Maybe it was a bit too good in the powder. I was ripping through the snow having a blast when the bike started to get a little groggy. I thought she might be sucking in some snow, so I opened the side cover, and she was sucking in a bit of snow. Amen to the hinged airbox door. If I had been on the 400 and that happened, I'd be walking home to get a ratchet.:thumbsup: Instead I just scooped it out and kept on truckin':thumbsup:

Track8.jpg

Workshop5.jpg

Track5.jpg

Track1-1.jpg

Airbox2.jpg

You know I keep thinking about buying one of those radix track setups from www.2moto.com but I just don't get enough snow to justify it . I am going to do the christini a.w.d. setup on the cr500 I'm building , I wonder how It will do all studded up in the snow .

You know I keep thinking about buying one of those radix track setups from www.2moto.com but I just don't get enough snow to justify it . I am going to do the christini a.w.d. setup on the cr500 I'm building , I wonder how It will do all studded up in the snow .

If the snow is packed, I’m sure the 2WD will be great. In soft snow it may be worse than 1WD unless you have a ski. When I get stuck now, only the rear sinks so it’s not too bad getting unstuck. If the front was digging down too it’d be a bit harder to pull out.

An update on the status of the 450. Today I received my F1 “Vehicle Import Form” from Customs, necessary for licensing an imported vehicle in Canada.

Normally you get it when you bring your vehicle across the border, but since the 450 was in pieces, and half was with me and half was in the mail, I couldn’t get it. After talking to a few agencies and explaining the dismantling situation, the Customs Agency asked me to bring the bike to their office for inspection. Since that would require yet another trip on a plane, which was the reason I had to dismantle it in the first place, it wasn’t an option. The alternative they accepted was to let the local police inspect it.

There are no service stations, garages, auto or bike repair, and oddly enough, no snowmobile repair shops here. The police were the only officials in town who could verify that the 450 was indeed a 450, and was not obviously falling apart. I drove the bike to the station and they were so curious about the spiked tires and ski, they didn’t seem to notice that I didn’t have a plate on, which is why I was there in the first place. They approved the bike and sent a letter off to Customs, who then proceeded to wade through the red tape, and sent me the form.

They told me to bring the F1 form to the Motor Vehicle office to register the bike. I’m going to give that a shot on Monday, BUT, I do remember being told of one more requirement way back at the beginning of this exercise. The department of imported vehicles told me that all vehicles imported into Canada must be inspected at a local Canadian Tire outlet. Canadian Tire is a large chain, and they are in most civilized areas, but my nearest CT outlet is over 1000 miles away, and of course, only accessible by plane.

I’m hoping that the imported vehicle folks will also accept the inspection by the police. Rather than volunteering to wrap myself in more red tape, I’m going to play dumb (easy on the jokes and laughter) and just walk in and see if I get a plate on Monday. If that works, then this mission will be officially complete. If not, there’ll be another chapter or two to write.

No chance of skipping the inspection. This morning I received this email from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles:

“Please be advised that the Registrar of Imported Vehicles has been unable to verify the current recall status of this vehicle. As a result we are unable to release an inspection form until such time as we receive a confirmation that the recall, if any, has been corrected, or that there are no outstanding recalls for this vehicle. Once we have received and verified your recall status we will release the inspection form in a timely manner. If you have previously sent the recall document to RIV please confirm the VIN on the document.”

Yamaha left off the first digit of the VIN number on the recall letter I received from them, so it didn’t match the bike. They are resending me the letter with the corrected VIN, but now I’m tangled up with the inspection.

I called the Registrar of Imported Vehicles this morning to discuss the inspection. They reconfirmed that the bike must be inspected at the nearest Canadian Tire outlet, and I reconfirmed that the nearest outlet was 1200 miles away. I mentioned that Customs accepted a general inspection from the local police, and they weren’t too keen on that.

They told me they would make a one time exception, and as soon as they receive the letter from Yamaha, they would contact a local automotive service station to perform the inspection. That’ll be interesting, since there are zero service stations, automotive supplies stores, garages or mom and pop mechanic shops here.

The town employs a heavy duty diesel mechanic to keep the snow plows running, so I guess it’ll have to be him. This should be interesting.

See, that is what happens when you think it is going to be easy...

:eek:

Glad to hear that the saga is almost over.

The town employs a heavy duty diesel mechanic to keep the snow plows running, so I guess it’ll have to be him. This should be interesting.

Hey Frosty go easy on us Heavy Equipment mechanics, some of us like to ride too :p:eek: WR Dave

Hey Frosty go easy on us Heavy Equipment mechanics, some of us like to ride too :p:eek: WR Dave

Hey Dave, no offense meant to Heavy Equipment mechanics, I was directing my comment to the character that works here. We don’t always get the pick of the litter in the Arctic.

It was just as bad that Customs accepted the RCMP’s report – not saying that they’re not good cops, but a motorcycle inspection is a bit out of their normal field of operations.

See, that is what happens when you think it is going to be easy...

:applause:

Glad to hear that the saga is almost over.

Compared to the crap I generally deal with, this is still pretty easy.

If you send them the link to this thread, I would HOPE that they would be able to determine that Frosty himself is about 50X more knowledgeable than ANY crappy tire tech and clear the inspection based solely on that.

No disrespect to any Crappy tire techs that may be on here, however, it's been my experience that any time I or my friends take a vehicle there, we end up having to fix it after getting it "fixed".

Damn frosty - it just never ends!

If you send them the link to this thread

I think they may already have a link to this thread. On Saturday I posted about playing dumb and possibly skipping the inspection, and Monday morning at 9 AM I received my first ever email from them, reminding me of the inspection. I think Big Brother is watching.

Damn frosty - it just never ends!

I’m thinking of all these complications in a more positive way. So far all of the issues have been resolved. For this to be a truly informative thread it’s better for me to debug the process completely.

Imagine if I had lucked out and slipped the bike through airport security and across the border without a hitch, and posted how easy it was. That’s not really a fair assessment of things. Other folks trying it would be cursing my name if they got tangled up somewhere along the line. This way, anyone considering doing something like this can look at the worst case scenario and decide for themselves if it’s worth it.

For me it absolutely was worth the effort and I’d do it again (well, I guess I already did it again, but I’d do it again again) in a heartbeat. Getting the bike here was success. Getting it licensed was secondary for me since 99% off my riding is off road. That 1% is handy though, and lets me ride to the post office to pick up my new parts, so I’m going to see this through, just to put a bow on this package.

I know what you mean about doing it the right way - I had to jump through hoops to get my wife's bike plated because of a thing the previous owner didn't do, I went and did all the right things, got all the right paperwork, one week later I get a tax assessment on it wanting the receipt I already submitted to them of which I now only had a copy!

So I just called the number on the letter, explained the hell I went through to even get it registered and off road plated and they closed the file right there for me, no need for further documentation.

So if there's 10 inches of snow on the roads - are you even driving ON the roads??

Do they even have roads up there or do they just stick traffic signs in the snow wherever they please???

I know what you mean about doing it the right way - I had to jump through hoops to get my wife's bike plated because of a thing the previous owner didn't do, I went and did all the right things, got all the right paperwork, one week later I get a tax assessment on it wanting the receipt I already submitted to them of which I now only had a copy!

So I just called the number on the letter, explained the hell I went through to even get it registered and off road plated and they closed the file right there for me, no need for further documentation.

So if there's 10 inches of snow on the roads - are you even driving ON the roads??

Do they even have roads up there or do they just stick traffic signs in the snow wherever they please???

Sometimes the squeaky wheel actually does get the grease. :eek:

Haha, yes, we do have roads, but in the winter time (which is most of the time) it’s hard to tell the difference between the road and the sled trails. New guys on our construction site regularly run the truck off the road, mistaking a well traveled snowmobile route for a road.

Most of the year the snow on the roads is deeper than 10 inches, but it’s well packed and frozen so you ride on top of it. The runway at the airport is the same. There is a dirt runway under there, but most of the year the planes take off and land on packed snow.

We’ve climbed above freezing and had rain last night for the first time this year. The snow is taking a beating and the roads are getting sloppy and uncovering some dirt. I just stepped out and snapped this pic.

road1.jpg

We have stop signs at most intersections, and they’re not stuck in the snow. They’re much more highly engineered than that. They’re stuck in 45 gallon drums full of dirt. :p

The local language is Inuktitut and this is how you spell STOP.

Stopsign.jpg

Another quick update – the town bylaw police just walked onto site looking for me. I thought maybe they were going to say something about me riding the 450 without a plate, but it was much better news than that.

He asked me if I would consider selling the 400, I said yes, he asked if I would accept $5k for it, I said yes.

Now I have to speed up the fire restoration process.

Another quick update – the town bylaw police just walked onto site looking for me. I thought maybe they were going to say something about me riding the 450 without a plate, but it was much better news than that.

He asked me if I would consider selling the 400, I said yes, he asked if I would accept $5k for it, I said yes.

Now I have to speed up the fire restoration process.

Holy chit!! $5k???? Sell, sell, sell :eek:

Holy chit!! $5k???? Sell, sell, sell :eek:

No worries, I'm sentimental, but not THAT sentimental. :p

Some more news from today, the warm weather has brought out my 450’s brother.

I was working on the 400 after dinner and the phone rang. Sandy said he had rolled the bike outside and was going to start it for the first time ever. He said he’d call back if there were problems, and if not, he’d drop by. A few minutes later I heard the bike pull up. He was absolutely stoked!

He’d never owned a new bike before, and had never ridden anything like the 450, so you can imagine how he must have felt. The roads are pretty sloppy and he’s only got a few screw in studs, so I’m expecting him back soon looking for one of my spare levers. Haha.

This is the Arctic, the final frontier, and the sunlight keep the werewolves and vampires at bay. :p

You’ve got that right DS, and I wasn’t about to let this opportunity get away. I headed straight for the shark camp after work tonight – 35 miles out on the sea ice. It was a rough ride, but well worth it. I finally got a picture that I can post in the “Best babes on a bike” thread. :ride::rant:

Bestbabeonabike.jpg

Hey Frosty , I watched the "Dirty Jobs" shark special with Mike Rowe last night and was hoping to catch a glimpse of the WR in the background, but no luck. I did however recognize the girl in this pic as the one that was doing the shark autopsy with Mike's help. How's things now that your back in "civilization"? ;) WR Dave.

Hey Frosty , I watched the "Dirty Jobs" shark special with Mike Rowe last night and was hoping to catch a glimpse of the WR in the background, but no luck. I did however recognize the girl in this pic as the one that was doing the shark autopsy with Mike's help. How's things now that your back in "civilization"? :ride: WR Dave.

I watched it too. They cut the Frostbite out ;)

Hey Frosty , I watched the "Dirty Jobs" shark special with Mike Rowe last night and was hoping to catch a glimpse of the WR in the background, but no luck. I did however recognize the girl in this pic as the one that was doing the shark autopsy with Mike's help. How's things now that your back in "civilization"? :ride: WR Dave.

Crap, did I miss that episode? I was keeping an eye out for it cause I wanted to see what Frosty was talking about with these sharks. No footage of Frosty or his WR... That's too bad. In my opinion that makes a better story than the Sharks.

Frosty I am sending you a PM.