How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

Hi X2468,

The ski does scrape when leaned over. On hard pack or ice it will unload the front tire when leaned over and cause the front end to wash out. In soft snow it’s not an issue. The back ends of the ski take a lot of abuse, and I wore my first ski down, about 4 inches scraped off of the ends. It didn’t affect the performance though, and that combined with the sides ground off a bit from cornering actually sort of customized the ski to the bike. I ran my original ski for many years without a problem, and sold it last year. I bought a new ski this year, and have broken the white Teflon part 3 times in the past few months. Although it’s the same ski, I think it must be a different grade of Teflon which can’t take the extreme cold. The original ski was bulletproof.

alright, so then if you have the ski on, then pretty much take it easy if and when you hit hardpack or ice with the leaning. right?

Hi Malcolm, I’m enjoying the helpful and sometimes hilarious comments, and ThumperTom gets big points from me for going well above and beyond the call of duty.

I do run studded front and rear tires, and a ski up front, and also have an Attrax that I pop on when the snow conditions are soft and fluffy. I looked into the 2Moto track, as it offers a lot more surface area than my Attrax. A rep called me back last night and is looking for a way to get me a demo to try. Me riding a demo in the wet snow down south wouldn’t tell me much, I have to try it here as our snow is completely different, very dry, impossible to make a snowball with.

what exactly did you use to make the tires? how have they lasted? and how do they do in various conditions? fluff vs wet vs. crusty vs solid ice vs. that occasional dirt, rock or pavement that shows itself every now and then. (sorry, im sure you're sick of answering that question by now)

and what happened with the 2moto demo? i've seen those things plowing through some pretty dry fluffy powder in videos.

SHARKS? POLAR BEARS? What kind of place is that Frostbite! It sounds 'interesting' just with the weather, let alone the killer wildlife. Still, at least the 24 hour daylight should keep the werewolves indoors.:prof:

This is the Arctic, the final frontier, and the sunlight keep the werewolves and vampires at bay. ;)

Georgia Peaches:eek: Woooo Hoooo Ya know, tha opportunity just never stops knockin round them parts.:bonk:

You’ve got that right DS, and I wasn’t about to let this opportunity get away. I headed straight for the shark camp after work tonight – 35 miles out on the sea ice. It was a rough ride, but well worth it. I finally got a picture that I can post in the “Best babes on a bike” thread. :confused::ride:

Bestbabeonabike.jpg

alright, so then if you have the ski on, then pretty much take it easy if and when you hit hardpack or ice with the leaning. right?

Exactly. This morning I ordered the ski that Attrax sells with their kit. I’ll post a ride report when it arrives. It looks a bit narrower so it may allow steeper leaning.

what exactly did you use to make the tires? how have they lasted? and how do they do in various conditions? fluff vs wet vs. crusty vs solid ice vs. that occasional dirt, rock or pavement that shows itself every now and then. (sorry, im sure you're sick of answering that question by now)

and what happened with the 2moto demo? i've seen those things plowing through some pretty dry fluffy powder in videos.

I drilled the tires and inserted snowmobile carbide tipped studs (and aluminum backing plates on the rear. The tires are fantastic for all round riding and I believe this is 6 years on the same tires, and only 1 knob ripped off the rear a few months ago, and I’m still riding on the tire.

They’re not as good as ice racing tires on clean ice, but I can easily wheelie in any gear on pure ice, and do brakies. The best advantage they have over ice racing tires is that you can beat them over rocks all day long without damage. I even pop them on sometimes during the summer for extra traction in grass and mud. The only bad situation is large rock faces – they are extremely slippery on smooth rock. In fluffy snow the studs don’t do a lot, but he width of the tire comes into play. I use the widest tire that will fit in the swingram, for best possible flotation on soft snow.

I haven’t heard back from the 2Moto rep, and I’m having so much fun on the 450 I’m not even thinking about the track.

Hey Tweav

I brought the new parts and cables back with me, but haven't got around to installing them yet. I'm having too much fun on the 450.:prof: I'm waiting for some bad weather so I can't ride, and then I'll get to the 400. I also have to pop the Attrax off of the 400, restud it, and try it on the 450.

I ordered a new front ski from Attrax today. My new Motoski cracked again, they must've used a different type of plastic in this one. I never had a problem with the last one. I'll try the Attrax unit and see how it compares.

I may take you up on the stock sending unit. It was the outer sheathing on mine that cracked and then caused the wires to break. If I cut the sheathig off and slip on a soft rubber gas line I should be fine. Name your price.

You can have the thing if you want it . I just need to figure out the shipping cost , I may want you to help me out there.:bonk:

Just gotta say i got so much respect for you and your love for the wr Frostbite , great stuff , best of luck in all that you do !!!!

You can have the thing if you want it . I just need to figure out the shipping cost , I may want you to help me out there.:thumbsup:

Sounds good Tweav, thanks for the offer. :thumbsup: USPS would be the best way to go. I’ll cover whatever costs you incur for shipping. If you hve a Paypal account I can pop the funds in, or maybe it could be sent with the freight collect?

Just gotta say i got so much respect for you and your love for the wr Frostbite , great stuff , best of luck in all that you do !!!!

Thanks Martin. I appreciate the kudos. :confused:

An update on things:

I received my letter of recall from Yamaha and forwarded it to the customs office yesterday. They will prepare my F1 (vehicle import) form, which I need to get my bike plated. Once I have that, there is only one more step – the vehicle inspection at the nearest Canadian Tire outlet, which is 1500 miles away. As usual, I’ll get directed to the “special circumstances” division, and they’ll probably let the police perform the inspection. Since they already inspected it for the customs office, it should be a breeze.

I was supposed to be flying to Vancouver today for meetings, but the weather turned bad and no flights could get in. Tomorrow’s flight would be too late to make my connections, so I had to cancel the whole thing. I was planning to assemble the other 450 when I returned next weekend, but started it tonight since I had no plans.

Saturdaynight1.jpg

I’ll finish it up tomorrow after work and the new owner is going to pick it up, so the next project will be resurrecting the 400.

One final note – my new valve cover (to replace the cover broken during transit) has not arrived yet. If it wasn’t for JB weld, my bike would still be sitting undriveable. The JB weld patch has held perfectly, even when the gasket blew out. It’s great stuff to have in your toolbox.

shoot me a pm with your mailing address and I'll pop it in the mail monday or tues when I'm off work. I have not Idea how much shipping will be. You will have to reuse your rubber seal for the bearing . I put mine in my flatland blockoff . the seals pull right out. if you need any of the other stuff I pulled off tell me

shoot me a pm with your mailing address and I'll pop it in the mail monday or tues when I'm off work. I have not Idea how much shipping will be. You will have to reuse your rubber seal for the bearing . I put mine in my flatland blockoff . the seals pull right out. if you need any of the other stuff I pulled off tell me

Thanks Tweav, just the sending unit will be fine. If my seal's no good there are plenty around town. :thumbsup: I sent you a PM.:thumbsup:

I finished bolting the 2nd 450 together this afternoon. The new owner was going to bring it home, but it's storming out, so I tucked it in here for the night.

tuckedin.jpg

Next project.............

cool, so now you'll have a riding buddy?

thanks for the info on the spikes. next year im gonna dig this post up and do that. id LOVE to have a 2moto but at my age and income it's temporarily impossible.

btw i live in vermont, incase your wondering why im so worried about snow in ohio.

Wait a second Frosty....you brought one bike in via baggage and mail and assembled it right...So have you repeated this process again on another 450? I musta missed something.

Wait a second Frosty....you brought one bike in via baggage and mail and assembled it right...So have you repeated this process again on another 450? I musta missed something.

Yes, I brought a second 450 up 2 weeks ago, a brand new 2008, bought at a Canadian Dealer so no broder issues. A fella in town heard what i did and asked me if I could help him out.

I flew to Ottawa, bought the bike (with his money) and stripped it at the dealership. Then I took the parts and packed them in my hotel room, and brought most of it back in my luggage, but shipped the engine, forks, shock and fuel tank by cargo.

I bolted it together on the weekend.

Yes, I brought a second 450 up 2 weeks ago, a brand new 2008, bought at a Canadian Dealer so no broder issues. A fella in town heard what i did and asked me if I could help him out.

I flew to Ottawa, bought the bike (with his money) and stripped it at the dealership. Then I took the parts and packed them in my hotel room, and brought most of it back in my luggage, but shipped the engine, forks, shock and fuel tank by cargo.

I bolted it together on the weekend.

sounds like you got a new side business:prof:

sounds like you got a new side business:prof:

Another satisfied customer. :thumbsup: He picked up the 450 tonight.

2brothers.jpg

satisfiedcustomer.jpg

Now you have another riding buddy! It's snowing like hell here too:rant:

So with no roads going into town, how do you get a truck in, more suitcases?

:thumbsup: nice:smirk:

I read this thread from start to finish and it was worth every minute of the 2.5-3 hours it took. It is so awesome that you shipped a whole bike in boxes and suitcases 8000 miles. So do you live permanently up there and only go to Phoenix on vacation time? What is your job up there?

Now you have another riding buddy! It's snowing like hell here too:rant:

Don’t you mean “a” riding buddy Charles?

Haha, :thumbsup: no, trucks pretty much come in in one piece, although I took up an IFS front end for my truck in my suitcases once.

Small vehicles will fit on the cargo planes but are very expensive to fly, usually over $10K. The cheapest way to ship anything is by boat, but the harbors are only ice free for 2 to 3 months, and sometimes only 1 or 2 boats come in.

We also have very high tides. The community I lived in for 9 years had a 36 foot tide. Ships would pull in at high tide, drop anchor, tide would go out, and they’d drop their cargo on the dry ocean floor. It’d usually take 2 or 3 days to get all the cargo off, so they’d unload like madmen during low tide and wait out the high tide.

Here’s a pic of my truck just after it was lowered from the ship, 9 years ago. It’s still not cheap, $2500 shipping for the truck.

13.jpg

I read this thread from start to finish and it was worth every minute of the 2.5-3 hours it took. It is so awesome that you shipped a whole bike in boxes and suitcases 8000 miles. So do you live permanently up there and only go to Phoenix on vacation time? What is your job up there?

And people say I’m hardcore, now that is what I call dedication. :thumbsup:

I’ve been living in the Arctic for 10 years. The first 4 were as a carpenter on construction sites and the rest have been as construction inspector for the government. I am currently full time on site inspector of a new hospital being built here.

That was my first trip to Phoenix, and it was specifically to pick up the bike. I was only there for 2 days. I would’ve liked to stay longer but couldn’t get the time off.

Don’t you mean “a” riding buddy Charles?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: one is better than none. hopefully he is a s dedicated as the frostbite himself. 6 inches of snow last night. looks like I'm going to need a ski soon. I was riding this time last year on dry ground. maybe we won't burn up this summer like last. Do you have problems with the plastic cracking in the cold?