How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

Please try the 400 gasket, I've asked that question without getting replies, and around here, there seems to be a huge price discrepancy between model years on the parts fiche so it would be a good thing to know.

Hey Matt16, here’s the scoop on the valve cover gasket. The 99 and 07 valve covers are very close, but we all know that close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and slow dancing, but is perfectly acceptable when the nearest properly fitting part is 2000 miles away.

Although the 99 gasket zigs in some places where the 07 cover zags, lengthwise it is nearly perfect, about 2mm longer than it should be. I heated mine up in warm water, and worked into the slightly different channel in the 07 cover. The extra length showed up along the straight side with the 2 half moons, there was a hump in the gasket.

I squirmed it around until it flattened out, like when you accidentally remove a big rubber O-ring from a machined groove and it instantly seems to grow an inch and you have to stuff it back in. I glued it in place, little by little, with 3 bond liquid gasket, let it dry under a bit of pressure, and it held perfectly. The center piece at the sparkplug hole is also different, but I re-used my 07 piece. I had to cut the round piece from the 99 gasket.

While this does seem to work, I wouldn’t recommend buying a 99 gasket and going through all this just to save a few bucks.

Now I have a question – is it physically possible to install the valve cover without removing the engine??? I spent an hour trying to replace the cover and can not get that darn thing in. :excuseme: I removed the top mount, radiator, water pipe on the front of the head (AIS is already gone) and block heater but no deal.

The wiring harness seemed to be interfering. It was -30, so the harness was like a piece of steel and I had to steam it to get it to bend. That still didn’t work so I removed the front number plate, unplugged all the plugs from the harness (and had to steam all the plugs to get them apart and steam the wires to get them to bend) and pulled the wiring harness completely out of the frame above the head, and I still didn’t have enough clearance to get the cover in.

I was getting hungry so I gave up and came in for supper. Tomorrow I’m going to remove the clutch and throttle cables, unless someone can give me the proper contortion sequence. Maybe the aluminum frame shrunk in the cold, maybe the 99 gasket is an RCH thicker than the 07 and is interfering.

If nothing else works I’m pulling the motor mounts 'cause I'm definitely riding on the weekend. It’s supposed to be beautiful and sunny tomorrow, and a full on heat wave on Sunday - I’ll finally be able to wear those MX shorts I got for my birthday! :confused:

I got the valve cover in this morning. I had to remove the hot start cable and the coolant overflow hose and that did it, slipped right in. The 99 400 gasket is sealing perfectly.:confused:

just caught up with progress after a few days away, amazing! I loved the

re-assembly video, can't believe you did all that in only 6 hours total and i didn't see you kick it or throw anything across the room once, maybe it's just me does that then! Very brave working with spiked tyres in bare feet, thanks for the slippers advice!!!! Seriously though, thanks again for this great story, it really is inspiring and i hope you'll keep posting those great pics for the rest of us, cheers mate!

Very brave working with spiked tyres in bare feet, thanks for the slippers advice!!!!

Thanks Simon, glad you enjoyed it. :confused:

There was a meeting of barefoot and spike that wasn’t easy to see in the time lapse video. I took a good chunk out of my toe while working on the front tire, but I’m amazed how many near misses there were in the 2 minutes leading up to contact. Check out this blooper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZsmMYI2M0

it was tough to watch that knowing what was coming!:excuseme:

i was just waiting for it with gritted teeth, it looked close about 10 times before it finally got you, it obviously didn't slow you down though!:confused:

Frosty..you need a 2T dude.

I do the same when I fly from the UK to Spain. I got some cbr 600 wheels to put on my XR 600. I brought the rear wheel back first, because that needs more machining. Then I went back for the front wheel and discs. The front had a tyre but wouldn't fit in my case the first time so went back again. All the pieces are delivered to my parents because I live in Spain. I Have a rear shock, fender bag and am awaiting some CR 250 forks:thumbsup: Sometimes they are delivered to my flat in spain but other times they don't read where I want them delivered to and send them to my paypal registered address. I order most of my parts from the US and never had any problems upto now, but I'm getting a bad feeling about the forks, don't think they'll be arriving:naughty:

it was tough to watch that knowing what was coming!:sweden:

i was just waiting for it with gritted teeth, it looked close about 10 times before it finally got you, it obviously didn't slow you down though!:confused:

No, a 2 minute patch job wit some electrical tape and I was back in business.

Frosty..you need a 2T dude.

Help me out here DS, what is 2T?:excuseme:

I do the same when I fly from the UK to Spain. I got some cbr 600 wheels to put on my XR 600. I brought the rear wheel back first, because that needs more machining. Then I went back for the front wheel and discs. The front had a tyre but wouldn't fit in my case the first time so went back again. All the pieces are delivered to my parents because I live in Spain. I Have a rear shock, fender bag and am awaiting some CR 250 forks:thumbsup: Sometimes they are delivered to my flat in spain but other times they don't read where I want them delivered to and send them to my paypal registered address. I order most of my parts from the US and never had any problems upto now, but I'm getting a bad feeling about the forks, don't think they'll be arriving:naughty:

Well, I glad to hear that we’re not the only one’s with mail failures. If your forks show up here I’ll let you know.

Here’s a short clip of some fun spots of Sunday’s ride. It was cloudy most of the day, so it’s hard to see relief in the terrain. Every now and then I do some snow depth analysis and snow density/impact absorption testing. :crazy::excuseme:

Great video Frostbite, and a great selection of music.

Not quite a highway, but I bet you could still "ride it all night long".

I love the drive by the sled dogs. The old arctic meeting the new arctic.

Dude, i cannot believe that ride video....:confused:

Dude. You. Are. The. Man. 'Nuff Said.

Thanks Simon, glad you enjoyed it. :confused:

There was a meeting of barefoot and spike that wasn’t easy to see in the time lapse video. I took a good chunk out of my toe while working on the front tire, but I’m amazed how many near misses there were in the 2 minutes leading up to contact. Check out this blooper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZsmMYI2M0

Once I turned up the sound a little, I was a little confused to say the least... To me it look like you were trying to "Dance with your Bike"!!!:sweden: I know the WR's are awesome... in fact my wife says I spend far too much time out in the garage, but that's kind of a different story... But you definitely need a little to come back down to civilization for awhile!!!:excuseme: :excuseme:

I figured with your sense of HAHA, you wouldn't mind if I busted your chops a little... Keep up the good work...

Jamie

Another awesome video! Does the ski in front just keep the tire from sinking or does the bike actually ride on it? Keep those great videos coming Frostbite.

I LOVE that video...........I thought you would be swimming with the fishes soon on that one.........but it did not seem to bother you....start up and dig your way out........nice wheely toooo............you are the man who will do ANYTHING to ride.............. :confused::excuseme: :excuseme: :sweden::crazy::p:lol::worthy:

Great video Frostbite, and a great selection of music.

Not quite a highway, but I bet you could still "ride it all night long".

I love the drive by the sled dogs. The old arctic meeting the new arctic.

Thanks DB4E, I thought the dogs would be a nice touch. :confused: The stretch at the very end (with the wheelie) was just like a highway. I headed out of the fiord on the sea ice and around the point. There were some rolls but it was about as close to a highway that you’ll see up here.

CumberlandSound1.jpg

I had the 450 opened up full tilt in top gear for the first time. I held it for 4 or 5 minutes, and was moving pretty quick once the tire stopped spinning. I didn’t have my GPS, and my speedo line is knackered, so I don’t know exactly how fast, but when I went home to refuel I grabbed my GPS and was just tooling around close to town, nothing spectacular. When I downloaded the track I saw that I was hitting 65mph near town, so I’m sure I was well up there on the high speed run.

I got stung for the run though, the vent on the right side of my helmet leaked and when I stopped I had a nice patch of frozen skin below my cheek. I’m no poser, I earn my nickname regularly. Haha.

Dude, i cannot believe that ride video....:p

When Arctic Adventure Tours opens MG, there’ll be helmet cams for everyone and you’ll have video that’ll blow that away. :excuseme:

Dude. You. Are. The. Man. 'Nuff Said.

Hi CRFer, like most riders, I like the flattery, but honestly, for me, it;s just like a day in the dirt.

Once I turned up the sound a little, I was a little confused to say the least... To me it look like you were trying to "Dance with your Bike"!!!:crazy: I know the WR's are awesome... in fact my wife says I spend far too much time out in the garage, but that's kind of a different story... But you definitely need a little to come back down to civilization for awhile!!!:sweden::excuseme:

I figured with your sense of HAHA, you wouldn't mind if I busted your chops a little... Keep up the good work...

Jamie

Hey Jamie, you had me confused a bit. You quoted the blooper video, but I realized you must be talking about the reconstruction clip.. There are much stranger things that go on up here when cabin fever sets in, so I take no offense to the dancing comment. I just wish she hadn’t stepped on my toes. :ouch:

Another awesome video! Does the ski in front just keep the tire from sinking or does the bike actually ride on it? Keep those great videos coming Frostbite.

Thanks Esbotto. The ski kind of does both. It’s #1 priority for me is to eliminate trips over the bars. Sometimes I run down soft powder hills (for fun, since I can’t go up them) and the bike is riding on the ski all the way. It doesn’t carve a turn like a full ski, but the tire sticking through acts as a rudder and gives me fairly good steering. If I lean over too far on hard pack or ice the sides of the ski touch down and unload the front tire, and the front end washes out.

That’s what caused the fall at the end of the video clip. The snow was extremely hard to read and I rode onto a sidehill that was fairly steep. There was a hard crust on top and when the rear slid a bit, the bike leaned enough that the side of the ski unloaded the spikes and caused the slow washout. Made for some nice footage though. The tumbling isn’t me, I hit my helmet on the side of the hill and knocked the camera off. I liked the spinning effect so I left it in.

The ski adds a bit of weight to the front, but even so I was having trouble getting the holeshot on this Chevy. :lol:

holeshot.jpg

Hey Frosty you should steal the carbide runners of your neighbors snowmobile and put one down each side of that ski and you should be good to go , Stop the wash outs !?!?!? Cool(COLD) stuff your throwing onto the TT forums. Great fun to watch. It was good to see you have some obstacles out on the ice. Looks like you could get a pretty technical trail going out there if it would just quit changing and floating out to sea. LOL -- WR Dave.

I LOVE that video...........I thought you would be swimming with the fishes soon on that one.........but it did not seem to bother you....start up and dig your way out........nice wheely toooo............you are the man who will do ANYTHING to ride.............. :excuseme: :excuseme: :sweden::crazy::p:lol::worthy: :worthy:

Holes like that are pretty common 2lcf, when I’m trying new trails. I had to spin out of 4 on Sunday. I’ve got a fairly good system now. I find the easiest way out is to stand the bike up on the rear tire, get it spinning, and turn the bike around 180 degrees. The spinning rear tire chews at the snow letting the bike rotate.

Once you’re turned around you have a nice big round hole to climb out of, instead of a skinny slot that grabs the swingarm and makes it hard to lean the bike if you have to lift it out. Another good feature is that you’re pointing back the way you came, which was solid snow so you know you’ll get a breather before you get stuck again. I enjoy the workout, outdoors in the fresh air on the bike beats the BoFlex hands down.

Here’s a clip I just posted, from a sink about 2 hours earlier than the one in the previous video. No fancy music, so you can hear what’s going on.

Hey Frosty you should steal the carbide runners of your neighbors snowmobile and put one down each side of that ski and you should be good to go , Stop the wash outs !?!?!? Cool(COLD) stuff your throwing onto the TT forums. Great fun to watch. It was good to see you have some obstacles out on the ice. Looks like you could get a pretty technical trail going out there if it would just quit changing and floating out to sea. LOL -- WR Dave.

Great idea Dave, the carbides just might work! :confused:

I usually head for the rough stuff. The flat sea ice is pretty boring except for jetting and high speed testing, and long wheelies. Close to shore is great though. We have very high tides that bust up the ice into the shapes you see in the video. 2ce a day the trail changes, so riding the same trail over and over is like riding a new trail every time, without having to go somewhere else. The new trails are delivered to my door. Haha. I think I’m going to start a new thread “Advantages of riding in the Arctic”.

You’re right about the ice changing. Expeditions heading for the North Pole can cover the same ground (actually ice) over and over. They hike 20 miles, set up camp for the night, and while they’re asleep the ice flow can drift backwards so they’re farther away than when they started, pretty frustrating. The guides like going to the South Pole. It’s colder, but no polar bears, and your camp doesn’t float away, since the South Pole is on land.

Thanks DB4E, I thought the dogs would be a nice touch. :confused: The stretch at the very end (with the wheelie) was just like a highway. I headed out of the fiord on the sea ice and around the point. There were some rolls but it was about as close to a highway that you’ll see up here.

CumberlandSound1.jpg

I had the 450 opened up full tilt in top gear for the first time. I held it for 4 or 5 minutes, and was moving pretty quick once the tire stopped spinning. I didn’t have my GPS, and my speedo line is knackered, so I don’t know exactly how fast, but when I went home to refuel I grabbed my GPS and was just tooling around close to town, nothing spectacular. When I downloaded the track I saw that I was hitting 65mph near town, so I’m sure I was well up there on the high speed run.

I got stung for the run though, the vent on the right side of my helmet leaked and when I stopped I had a nice patch of frozen skin below my cheek. I’m no poser, I earn my nickname regularly. Haha.

When Arctic Adventure Tours opens MG, there’ll be helmet cams for everyone and you’ll have video that’ll blow that away. :excuseme:

Hi CRFer, like most riders, I like the flattery, but honestly, for me, it;s just like a day in the dirt.

Hey Jamie, you had me confused a bit. You quoted the blooper video, but I realized you must be talking about the reconstruction clip.. There are much stranger things that go on up here when cabin fever sets in, so I take no offense to the dancing comment. I just wish she hadn’t stepped on my toes. :ouch:

Thanks Esbotto. The ski kind of does both. It’s #1 priority for me is to eliminate trips over the bars. Sometimes I run down soft powder hills (for fun, since I can’t go up them) and the bike is riding on the ski all the way. It doesn’t carve a turn like a full ski, but the tire sticking through acts as a rudder and gives me fairly good steering. If I lean over too far on hard pack or ice the sides of the ski touch down and unload the front tire, and the front end washes out.

That’s what caused the fall at the end of the video clip. The snow was extremely hard to read and I rode onto a sidehill that was fairly steep. There was a hard crust on top and when the rear slid a bit, the bike leaned enough that the side of the ski unloaded the spikes and caused the slow washout. Made for some nice footage though. The tumbling isn’t me, I hit my helmet on the side of the hill and knocked the camera off. I liked the spinning effect so I left it in.

The ski adds a bit of weight to the front, but even so I was having trouble getting the holeshot on this Chevy. :excuseme:

holeshot.jpg

No I was quoting the right one... If you turn up the volume, and watch you dance around the bike back and forth (With I believe Journey playing in the background) circling the front tire and forks, in screen then back out then Whammo, the tire gets you.... If you've ever riden Enduro... you'd be drooling at the helmet cam footage of when your rolling over the ice jumps and twisting around the rocks and other crap... ALMOST makes me wish I was there:thinking: :sweden:

Jamie

Love this thread frostbite, keep 'em comin

These posts and this thread make me feel like a lucky dog when I think about all of the little issues that I whine about down here like sand in my fork seals and the like. Boxing up your bike, block heaters, freezing bike parts internal and external, freezing body parts and whatever else, thats tough shizzle...Thanks for posting