How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

Hello Fellow TT'ers

I'm looking for a bit of thinking outside the box, on how to stuff a WR inside the box.

I just bought a 2007 450 in the USA, but it's going to cost me $2500 to have it shipped here to the Arctic, so I've decided to mail it to myself.

The bike is in Phoenix and I'm flying there next week to dismantle it into bite size pieces.

I'm just wondering if any special tools are required, such as the rear subframe bolts - are they regular hex or some type of torxe? I'm only in town for 24 hours, so I can't afford too many surprises.

I can bring 2 suitcases 50 pounds each on the plane with me, no charge, and the other 150 pounds will go USPS, roughly in 3 boxes from 50 to 66 pounds each, shipping under $100 each.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Suitcase #1 - front and rear wheels complete, and maybe the fenders, that should be close to 50 pounds. I just weighed my front wheel and it's 20 pounds.

Suitcase #2 - Swingarm with linkage and rear shock,

Handlebars,

Muffler

Rear subframe

Seat

Box #1 - Engine

I'm hoping that the engine will be close to the 66 pound limit so I won't have to strip to much from it.

Box #2 - Frame complete with triple clamp

Gas tank

Headlight/number plate

Rads and covers

Side panels

Box #3 - Forks

Airbox

Carb

Chain

Nuts, bolts and whatever other doo-dads are left over.

Am I missing anything? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Frosty

• Like 2

Well, I know some airlines have a size limit for your checked baggage in addition to the weight limit. I wanted to bring my mtn bike with me on a trip, and even though it was well below the weight limit, it was still "oversize", $90 extra. Something else to consider is airline freight. My company occasionally needed to overnight 200-300 lb pieces of equipment and no shiping company would do it. We would drop the box at the airport and someone would pick it up on the other end.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't have an 07 and I can't even begin to think of the size and weight of each component or how to organize them. Just get lots of bubble wrap.

Well, I know some airlines have a size limit for your checked baggage in addition to the weight limit. I wanted to bring my mtn bike with me on a trip, and even though it was well below the weight limit, it was still "oversize", $90 extra. Something else to consider is airline freight. My company occasionally needed to overnight 200-300 lb pieces of equipment and no shiping company would do it. We would drop the box at the airport and someone would pick it up on the other end.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't have an 07 and I can't even begin to think of the size and weight of each component or how to organize them. Just get lots of bubble wrap.

Good call on the size of the bags, I'll check the airlines website for the limit, Thanks BG.

Most of the original quoted $2500 shipping charge for the bike was the air freight. There are no roads so the only way to ship in the bike is to fly, but that is expensive. The mail also comes in on the same plane, but the rates are extremely less $, as long as you keep the box size and weight under the limits.

Would it be cheaper to crate it and have it trucked to the closest major center and then pay for the much shorter flight from there on a local plane or chopper? Are you close enough for a sled and toboggan trip? Just tryin' to help out with what seems to be a bit of a conundrum. Good Luck getting it home Frosty -:busted: - WR Dave.

Be careful that you are not violating any hazmat shipping laws. They could throw a wrench in your plan. I know that all the fluids are hazmat and just draining them may not be enough. The battery is also the same.

I would look into maybe sending it by ship. Fines for illegaly shipping hazmat in the US can reach $50,000. That makes the $2500 shipping cost a bargin.

Check here for the fine print on USPS to Canada. http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_003.htm#ep2041503

I think you'll have a tough time meeting the size req's. Priority Int'l has a max length + girth of 79", and even the most expensive service has a max of 108".

Good luck.

That's the site I'm using, I even opened an account so I can print off my own postage for the packages on the spot.

Shipping to Canada uses the 108" max, and I think that's plenty, unless I'm misunderstanding the method. Is the 108 the length + the width + the height, or is it the length + the complete outer circumference of the box? Example: if the box is 4 feet long 3 feet wide and 2 high, do you add the 3 and 2 once or twice (the bottom and top and both sides)?

Would it be cheaper to crate it and have it trucked to the closest major center and then pay for the much shorter flight from there on a local plane or chopper? Are you close enough for a sled and toboggan trip? Just tryin' to help out with what seems to be a bit of a conundrum. Good Luck getting it home Frosty -:busted: - WR Dave.

The $2500 is trucked to the nearest shipping point. It travels 2000 miles north east by truck, for $350, and then 1300 miles due north on a jet - cost $1500, then switches to a prop plane for another 200 miles further north - cost $650, and that is the standby air cargo rate which ships when space is available, so it could sit for a month or 2.

Be careful that you are not violating any hazmat shipping laws. They could throw a wrench in your plan. I know that all the fluids are hazmat and just draining them may not be enough. The battery is also the same.

I would look into maybe sending it by ship. Fines for illegaly shipping hazmat in the US can reach $50,000. That makes the $2500 shipping cost a bargin.

I am looking into the dangerous goods regulations. I have shipped used parts by air before and had to obtain dangerous goods statutory declaration forms for them.

Be sure to ck on shipping your shocks on an airplane if they are nitrogen charged! I know that sounds weird and nitro is suppose to be an inert gas but I think that has to do with heat and not altittude. I'll just say this, I run a tire and repair facility and sometimes sell people a high quality shock from a company called KYB. they are nitrogen charged. If my local supplier does not have them and has to get them from KYB or wherever it always takes 3-5 days because they have to be shipped on the ground. My suppliers tell me its because your not allowed to transport a nitro charged shock/or anything in airplanes. maybe they are all wrong but they still only ship them on the ground.

Also a buddy of mine stationed at fort campbell bought an 04 yz450 from a guy on ebay. the guy took it apart and shipped it to him like you described in three boxes with ups. other than the guy taking 3 weeks to actually ship the bike I dont think he had any problems.

Be sure to ck on shipping your shocks on an airplane if they are nitrogen charged! I know that sounds weird and nitro is suppose to be an inert gas but I think that has to do with heat and not altittude. I'll just say this, I run a tire and repair facility and sometimes sell people a high quality shock from a company called KYB. they are nitrogen charged. If my local supplier does not have them and has to get them from KYB or wherever it always takes 3-5 days because they have to be shipped on the ground. My suppliers tell me its because your not allowed to transport a nitro charged shock/or anything in airplanes. maybe they are all wrong but they still only ship them on the ground.

Also a buddy of mine stationed at fort campbell bought an 04 yz450 from a guy on ebay. the guy took it apart and shipped it to him like you described in three boxes with ups. other than the guy taking 3 weeks to actually ship the bike I dont think he had any problems.

That's a bit encouraging that he actually shipped it. You're right about airlines not liking sealed shocks or sealed anything, but they just require a dangerous good stat dec. That is extra $ so perhaps that's why your supplier ships by ground. I have flown my WR 400 4 times, and all 4 times it was complete, not even crated, they just rolled it onto the plane. The only thing I had to do besides getting a stat dec, was to drain the fuel from the tank and the carb. The engine stayed full of fuel. Everything here has to fly in, even BBQ tanks full of propane. As long as they are aware of what they are flying and you have the proper paperwork, the airline will ship most items.

I did forget that the new WR's had batteries though. It would probably be cheaper for me to leave the batery in Phoenix and buy a new one when I get here.

This is lots of great advice, ideas and suggestions guys - Thanks very much - I truly appreciate the collective wisdom. Thumpertalk is like....the Borg!

That's the site I'm using, I even opened an account so I can print off my own postage for the packages on the spot.

Shipping to Canada uses the 108" max, and I think that's plenty, unless I'm misunderstanding the method. Is the 108 the length + the width + the height, or is it the length + the complete outer circumference of the box? Example: if the box is 4 feet long 3 feet wide and 2 high, do you add the 3 and 2 once or twice (the bottom and top and both sides)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girth

Girth is 2 x (width + height). Add that to the length and stay under 108.

That's a tight squeeze.

The $2500 is trucked to the nearest shipping point. It travels 2000 miles north east by truck, for $350, and then 1300 miles due north on a jet - cost $1500, then switches to a prop plane for another 200 miles further north - cost $650, and that is the standby air cargo rate which ships when space is available, so it could sit for a month or 2.

Jeebus, maybe you need to have it trucked then put your snow equipment on it and do a 1500 mile break in run! JK! That northern cargo is a biznatch :busted: WR Dave.

Stop scaring the poor guy.....Unless it is an oxidizer or something really dangerous virtually anything considered hazardous materials can be shipped by air. Albeit some things have very limited quantities on passenger aircraft it generally loosens up on 'Cargo Only' aircraft.

Air Haz Mat shipping is pretty simple if you have the proper paperwork, package markings and labeling denoting such. If the bike has never been started there is no gasoline residue to deal with. If the battery is a concern just take it out...and oil...sheesh....easy to ship. I don't even believe 49 CFR or IATA classify oil as a hazardous material for shipping.

Jeebus, maybe you need to have it trucked then put your snow equipment on it and do a 1500 mile break in run! JK! That northern cargo is a biznatch :worthy: WR Dave.

I would, but there are no gas stations along those 1500 miles, so I'd have to get air cargo to make fuel drops - more dangerous good charges........:busted:

I think 2 stuffed suitcases, mail everything that can legally be stuffed through a mailbox, and cargo the nasty bits left over - won't be too bad.

Stop scaring the poor guy.....Unless it is an oxidizer or something really dangerous virtually anything considered hazardous materials can be shipped by air. Albeit some things have very limited quantities on passenger aircraft it generally loosens up on 'Cargo Only' aircraft.

Air Haz Mat shipping is pretty simple if you have the proper paperwork, package markings and labeling denoting such. If the bike has never been started there is no gasoline residue to deal with. If the battery is a concern just take it out...and oil...sheesh....easy to ship. I don't even believe 49 CFR or IATA classify oil as a hazardous material for shipping.

Thanks Sundog, for ending this session on a positive note.

I would ask the airline your flying what the charge is for additional luggage.

I have taken home lots of meat and just had to pay extry.

I know guys that have brought home hundreds of pounds of moose venison on an airplane.

A buddy is from NZ and brings his suspension with him everytime he comes out here to get serviced. The airlines never gave him a problem.

I would ask the airline your flying what the charge is for additional luggage.

I have taken home lots of meat and just had to pay extry.

I know guys that have brought home hundreds of pounds of moose venison on an airplane.

A buddy is from NZ and brings his suspension with him everytime he comes out here to get serviced. The airlines never gave him a problem.

The problem is flying in the Arctic. I have 2 seperate flights - US Airways from Phoenix to Ottawa, Canada, $100 extra for each 50lb bag, which is much more than USPS, and then First Air from Ottawa to Pangnirtung, $175 extra for each 75 pound bag, so it's going to add up. My return ticket from Pangnirtung to Ottawa, which is 1 hour on a prop plane and then a direct flight, 3 hours on a Boeing 737, is $2100. The rates are different than in the civilized world.

I'm thinking stuffing as much as I can into my 2 bags (free) mailing as much as possible by USPS ($300) and then ship the dangerous goods (engine, fuel tank, carburetor, and rear shock) by cargo (probably another $200). I can live with that.

The problem is flying in the Arctic. I have 2 seperate flights - US Airways from Phoenix to Ottawa, Canada, $100 extra for each 50lb bag, which is much more than USPS, and then First Air from Ottawa to Pangnirtung, $175 extra for each 75 pound bag, so it's going to add up. My return ticket from Pangnirtung to Ottawa, which is 1 hour on a prop plane and then a direct flight, 3 hours on a Boeing 737, is $2100. The rates are different than in the civilized world.

I'm thinking stuffing as much as I can into my 2 bags (free) mailing as much as possible by USPS ($300) and then ship the dangerous goods (engine, fuel tank, carburetor, and rear shock) by cargo (probably another $200). I can live with that.

If the bike has never had gas in it then the carb, fuel tank and engine would not be subject to dangerous goods regulations. Rear shock and battery would be the two items that I would think.

If the bike has never had gas in it then the carb, fuel tank and engine would not be subject to dangerous goods regulations. Rear shock and battery would be the two items that I would think.

The bike has 150 miles on it. The dangerous goods shipping office won't be open till Monday morning, so I'll find out then. I did confirm with the airline this morning - if I ship the bike intact, just drain the gas and attach a dangerous goods declaration form, no issue with the gas filled rear shock, so I'm hoping the USPS dangerous goods regulations are similiar.

I also measured my WR 400 this morning, and it looks like everything will fit under the USPS 108" max regulation. The only component that was questionable was the frame. I took a square sheet of cardboard and laid it over my frame and trimmed it until it just covered the frame. The box for the frame will be 31" long, 24" wide and 14" thick. That totals 107, so I'm just under. The 14" is the widest part of the frame, measured at the footpeg brackets with the footpegs removed.

The front forks, handlebars and muffler are roughly the same length so they'll go together in another box.

One new problem I thought of is declaring this stuff at the border. I'm buying the bike for 1 fixed price, but then splitting it up. Somehow I have to figure out what the contents of each box being mailed will be worth, and also what the contents of my luggage will be worth, since I'll have to declare that at the airport, and convince the border agents of the value of the stuff. The "bringin' stuff back across the border" office won't be open until Monday either, and I fly early Wednesday morning, so I don't have a lot of time to prepare for any issues they may bring up.

Dude,

It's entirely commendable that you are going to great lengths to get a bike but you could have picked an easier bike to work on. I cringe anytime that I have to work on the shock / carb / engine area of my 07 wr450. Yamaha did not make the thing very accessible! USPS rules !

Good Luck to you !

STS.