Foam in the Gas Tank

What is everyones thoughts of using foam in the tank to improve handling? It sounds like voodoo to me but if it works I'll try it.

I was skeptical until I tried it myself. Less than half a lap and I was sold. Helps take that inside line and keep it there, I can go harder through braking bumps and a real stable feeling in the air. Everyone I know that has tried still has it in their tanks. $50 well spent in my opinion.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

sounds fishy to me :busted:

I have a big chunck of military grade airex foam. It is the daddy. There are many kinds of foam like how pores per inch and how fast it delivers fuel. PM me and I will put in touch with the right people. It's good stuff.

i have the evo mx tank foam in my bike and love it.. really does help cornering and keeping the bike feeling neutral in the air. you can check out my reivew on the product for a more in depth response.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

sounds fishy to me :busted:

yeh, totally fishy. thats why nhra funny cars and top fuelers use it in their tanks, along with the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE and NAVY. its total bullshi*...they just add that stuff just cause they want to :worthy:

yeh, totally fishy. thats why nhra funny cars and top fuelers use it in their tanks, along with the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE and NAVY. its total bullshi*...they just add that stuff just cause they want to :busted:

There might be a small difference between the 0.9 gallons of fuel sloshing around in a half full YZ450 and the 9000+ gallons in a C-130 executing a 60 degree bank at low speed. Just guessing. But I do so enjoy the sarcasm.

the sarcasm was all i really was going for, but half a tank of gas is a gallon, and thats about 7lbs sloshin around in there. in a motocross or sx track, it makes a difference.

half a tank of gas is a gallon,

Half of 1.8 is 1?

It equals one in canadian measurments...;0)

Joking aside I have never heard of this adding foam thing. Is it exactly what it sounds like? Where do you purchase this from...sounds like something the scrub racers like me would probably not benefit from or am I wrong there?

It is the addition of reasonably form-fitted blocks of open celled foam to the gas tank to serve as baffling and prevent the motion of the fuel in the tank from pushing the top of the bike around. It's been used for a very long time in a variety of applications, and it does seem like kind of a natural for use in motorcycles. It could be argued that the tank shape of a YZ450 doesn't lend itself well to a lot of sloshing, or that most people wouldn't notice, but you don't know until you try it, I suppose. Two downsides to are that it does reduce the fuel capacity a little bit (about 0.1g), because after all, it takes up space, and the precut to fit blocks are probably a bit expensive for what they are. OTOH, there's no reason you can't remove it if you decide to.

i've had mine from weapon mx for about a yr now,it definately made the bike more stable and is most noticeable to me in the whoop sections. biggest problem is filling the tank;you must go by the sound or have a buddy hold it down with a screwdriver.... otherwise its a mess:ride:

yeh, totally fishy. thats why nhra funny cars and top fuelers use it in their tanks, along with the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE and NAVY. its total bullshi*...they just add that stuff just cause they want to :worthy:

wow settle down hoss..........I could care a less what other gas powered machines use and what military benefits it may have

I have been on bikes for almost 40years.....w/o foam. If it works, great.

But it still sounds fishy to me......:busted:

please explain why you think its fishy? just wondering on your reasoning.

Fishy: my explanation....w/o being scientific :worthy:

the gas tank only holds a certain amt of fuel not usually over 3 gal unless u use a larger off road tank. I ride MX tracks exclusively. I never fill my tank full to ride or race. I do not need the weight and find that my bike handles better w/o a full tank. I usually only half fill it, if that and check it during the day during breaks. Call me a creature of habit, call me what u will, but I do not see that adding foam or foam balls in a 1/2 tank of gas on my bike is going to make any real noticeable difference. You have gravity and weight. Ok it may assist in stopping some sloshing around of fuel, but it this going to make my bike handle better in mx.....hmmmm. I may be wrong but my logic is telling me different. I have been around doing this for a while and I have seen products come and products go that are supposed to do or make riding easier or better. Some work and some are snake oil......not saying that foam is snake oil but I doubt that it is going to make any real difference for me. I can be wrong......I have been before.:busted:

now time to go ride ....

I was a little skeptical also until I messed around with the tank in the garage off the bike. I didn't purchase any yet but I will give it a try. What I did notice with our YZ tanks is that we have a little devide in the center to go over the frame so I thought it was sort of baffled enough then. With a half tank of gas (5-6 lbs) I would roll the tank and then the gas would sort of flow over the center divide and I could feel an extra prolonged push on the tank. I then filled it to the top and it felt heavier but more controllable to roll around. I would be suprised if it is some wonder cure for every type of turn, but I am sure if the bikes came with some part that weighed 5lbs and it was rolling around loose on the bike we would have a fit and magazines would crush the bike in reviews. I also like to run low amount of gas and I want to keep it put especially for the quick turns in MX. Its cheap enough to try and can't inmagine any real drawbacks.

biggest problem is filling the tank;you must go by the sound or have a buddy hold it down with a screwdriver.... otherwise its a mess:ride:

I think that this would be the biggest problem. Since I am not fast enough to notice the fuel moving in the tank yet, this detail would putme off enough not to do it. Just my .2c

If you foam only the bottom 2/3 of the tank it would eliminate the fill/visibility problem without having much effect on the control of fuel sloshing, it seems to me. There's no sloshing in a full tank, after all.

Frankly, it won't surprise me to see this done at the factory as fuel injection becomes common. FI depends on an uninterrupted flow of fuel from the tank, and you can't have gas moving away from the petcock at any time. Automotive gas tanks are heavily baffled to prevent this.

Ive seen tests of this in the magazines, I am thinking of trying it as I am planning on racing some gp and gncc races this year with a 3 gallon tank and i think i benefit in the tight woods and switcbacks