HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brad the best

dampner rod holder

5 posts in this topic

03 wr450f

were do you get a Damper rod holder:YM-1423/90890-01423

i dissasembled my forks to get all the oil out and to clean them , but have no way to hold the dampner tube or w.e its called to get the base valve to tighten down

do you really lock tight that sucker ? the manual says locktight and 40ft/lbs , the lock tight seems excessive to me .im assuming blue locktight .

i would really just like a picture of the tool , i was thinking of just notching a pipe to hold it sort of like a spindle nut for a truck .

if any one has a home made solution , or the real thing , or knows the price . i would really appreciate it .

i would really just like a picture of the tool , i was thinking of just notching a pipe to hold it sort of like a spindle nut for a truck .

You are on the right track. I use a piece of PVC pipe and cut four notches into one end to look like a castle turret. Cheap and effective.

a piece of pvc pipe took 40 ft/lbs? thats awesome , thank you so much thats way easier then machining out a pipe . do you remember what size pipe it was , i suppose i can just measure it .

thanks again.

a piece of pvc pipe took 40 ft/lbs? thats awesome , thank you so much thats way easier then machining out a pipe . do you remember what size pipe it was , i suppose i can just measure it .

thanks again.

It's been a long time since I took the forks that far apart, but 1" Schedule 40 comes to mind. I can't remember and don't have it handy. It seemed like you only needed the holder to stop the initial spinning. Once the initial spinning stopped, I don't recall needing to apply a whole lot of pressure to the "tool" to keep the cartridge from spinning while I torqued it down to spec. This is where I got the idea from:

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

Go to Tech Articles/Suspension/Cheap Cartridge Holder

haha i looked on his site but not at that part . again you saved me a head ache . i have some 1" pvc laying around the house