dampner rod holder

03 wr450f

were do you get a Damper rod holder:YM-1423/90890-01423

i dissasembled my forks to get all the oil out and to clean them , but have no way to hold the dampner tube or w.e its called to get the base valve to tighten down

do you really lock tight that sucker ? the manual says locktight and 40ft/lbs , the lock tight seems excessive to me .im assuming blue locktight .

i would really just like a picture of the tool , i was thinking of just notching a pipe to hold it sort of like a spindle nut for a truck .

if any one has a home made solution , or the real thing , or knows the price . i would really appreciate it .

i would really just like a picture of the tool , i was thinking of just notching a pipe to hold it sort of like a spindle nut for a truck .

You are on the right track. I use a piece of PVC pipe and cut four notches into one end to look like a castle turret. Cheap and effective.

a piece of pvc pipe took 40 ft/lbs? thats awesome , thank you so much thats way easier then machining out a pipe . do you remember what size pipe it was , i suppose i can just measure it .

thanks again.

a piece of pvc pipe took 40 ft/lbs? thats awesome , thank you so much thats way easier then machining out a pipe . do you remember what size pipe it was , i suppose i can just measure it .

thanks again.

It's been a long time since I took the forks that far apart, but 1" Schedule 40 comes to mind. I can't remember and don't have it handy. It seemed like you only needed the holder to stop the initial spinning. Once the initial spinning stopped, I don't recall needing to apply a whole lot of pressure to the "tool" to keep the cartridge from spinning while I torqued it down to spec. This is where I got the idea from:

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

Go to Tech Articles/Suspension/Cheap Cartridge Holder

haha i looked on his site but not at that part . again you saved me a head ache . i have some 1" pvc laying around the house