HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rickallen124

Anti-seize for exhaust joints?

10 posts in this topic

Is the high temp anti-seize that we use on spark plugs good for keeping exhausts from galling together at the joints? I would like to be able to pull my exhaust apart without too much twisting a pulling and thought this stuff might help. Does anyone have any experience with anti-seize on a Ti pipe? Thanks for any input.

good ?. i think i'll try that on my Ti/Ti system. it is a very close fit and had some resistance when trying to remove the muffler the other day. my system is only a week old.

thanks

I don't think anti-seize will work that well, but it might. The oil/grease base will burn off, and the "carbon" residue may actually tighten the joint. Dry moly might be a better idea. I use a GM product I have called "Heat Valve Lubricant & Penetrating Oil Spray. It's a moly bearing penetrating oil. A quick shot before pulling it apart, and things go a lot easier.

Use liquid maloxx. Anti-sieze burns off and is useless. The calcium in Maloxx won't burn away and leaves your bike smelling minty fresh. But seriously, that's what we do on jet engine exhaust ejector bolts to keep them from seizing up from the repetative heating and cooling. I use it on my Jardine stainless system and it is pretty easy to pull the mid-pipe from the header. I also use it on the header guard bolts. Good Luck!!!

Are exhaust temperatures that much higher than the sparkplug temperatures? I always use a high temp anti-seize on the spark plugs and they always come out easily without the anti-seize being burnt off.

Do your spark plugs glow red, or turn blue from the heat? They run at less than half of the temperature of your exhaust system, which can reach 600 degrees at the pipe joint.

I figured that was the case as the engine gets a fresh cool charge from incoming fuel/air.The high temp anti-seize I have is rated up to 1500 F. I'm sure that covers the heat of the exhaust but leaves the question of wether or not some of the components of the anti-seize will burn off and leave a carbon build up.

The head is also a relatively large mass of aluminum with a direct cooling system, compared to a piece of Ti tubing .040" thick just floating on its own.

If the anti-seize is rated that high, it seems logical that such a rating would take into account the burn off of the vehicle base. Certainly, if used on a bolt, or a caliper pin, any build up of burned gunk would tend to tighten things up, rather than keep them free. The vehicle solvents are probably more prone to evaporate than burn. Give it a try.