HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Graybeard

Need a handlebar opinion...

8 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of switching bars on my "L". Hope you guys don't rag on me for asking this BUT when any of you swapped bars on your "L" did you drill new holes in the new bars for your switch clusters to locate to or did ya just file the little pins off and trust the grip of the clamp? Seems like overkill to drill locating holes in the new bars, especially if the switch clusters fit tight enough on their own. Be easy on me now. lol OGB

i drilled the hole on my r, but the handlebars were old, ive flopped it pretty good, and never had any problems.

Ive done a switch on my 400ex and i got rid of the tits on the levers. For one im not drilling in some pro tapers and two you dont really need em to locate your levers, i like mine more level so there about useless. Id get rid of em

Thanks for the input. Old people seem to stress over trivial, unimportant issues. Ya saved me from some of that and told me what I was hoping to hear. lol Again, thanks man. OGB

I filed the pins off and put a layer of cloth (not plastic) electrical tape on my bars. Installed the controls and no slippage at all. Worked good.

I used wire cutters, then a light file. Never had a problem in 4 years of punishment!.

I filed the pins off and put a layer of cloth (not plastic) electrical tape on my bars. Installed the controls and no slippage at all. Worked good.

try the thread tape next time, its not a pain to get off like electrical tape and it gives a little. When tight they will only move in event of a fall and thats when you want them to move so they dont break levers and all. If you dont have fancy levers with the plastic bushing under it the PVC thread tape works awesome. Been using it for years and last time i broke a lever, even racing MX with my YZ250 was like 6 years ago.