weird noise????

I got an 07 yz450 with maybe 15 hours on it. I adjusted the chain on my last easy ride and it was fine. Today went for a mud ride because it was around 45degrees (NY) and was going slow in first gear around a field and heard a snap kinda clunk noise like the chain skipped on the sprocket. So

i stopped to see if a stick or something was wedged in the chain. Nothing was there, so I laid the bike on it's side and noticed the chain was tight as hell and when moving the wheel it loosend up then would get tight again. There was no debri in the way and the chain adjusters were not loose and it did not seem that the nut for the axle was loose. My buddy said the chain looked fine with enough slack before this happened, but was tight on the way back to the truck. (went slow). Went to the car wash and cleaned it up, now it seems fine????? any clue what happened ? Everything is tight!!

Thanks all, Steve

the chain may have been packed full of mud.. thats happened to me before when riding in the mud all day. a little bit of mud in between the links all teh way around does make a difference with the tension

Just make sure the rear wheel is aligned>>> That the axle blocks are on the same tic mark on each side. If the rear wheel is not true and straight the chain can bind on the rear sprocket. Make sure you have at least 50mm of slack on the chain>>>measuring from the the bolt that hold the chain slider on at the top of the swingarm to the bottom of the chain.

the chain may have been packed full of mud.. thats happened to me before when riding in the mud all day. a little bit of mud in between the links all teh way around does make a difference with the tension

This might be the problem, but I would of never guesed mud would stick around on the chain after burping the throttle! The marks are inline on the swingarm and everything is tight, is it possible 1 link on the chain can get crushed inside and cause this???

Thanks Steve