Calling all mechanics xr650r

I am in the process of checking/adjusting the vavles on my new to me 2000 xr650r with unknown history. While rotating the flywheel (counterclockwise) I am hearing a loud metallic tap or click coming from the right side exhaust valve just before it closes. No other valves are affected. I can feel something hit the valve as I put my finger on the adjuster nut while rotating the flywheel.

O.K. I just checked the valve and it was extermely tight (couldnt fit the feeler in at all .008mm) I rotated the flywheel while the valve adjuster nut and valve was way loose and the noise went away.

I can supply more info if need be. The bike runs well, but I can remember hearing a metallic clicking noise, on my last ride.

So the question is, will a tight right exaust valve cause this noise, and did any damage occur (opinions) riding with a valve so tight (50 100 miles)?

I understand the decompresser can affect the clearance so I will take pains to be sure it isn't part of the problem.

I am in the process of checking/adjusting the vavles on my new to me 2000 xr650r with unknown history. While rotating the flywheel (counterclockwise) I am hearing a loud metallic tap or click coming from the right side exhaust valve just before it closes. No other valves are affected. I can feel something hit the valve as I put my finger on the adjuster nut while rotating the flywheel.

O.K. I just checked the valve and it was extermely tight (couldnt fit the feeler in at all .008mm) I rotated the flywheel while the valve adjuster nut and valve was way loose and the noise went away.

I can supply more info if need be. The bike runs well, but I can remember hearing a metallic clicking noise, on my last ride.

So the question is, will a tight right exaust valve cause this noise, and did any damage occur (opinions) riding with a valve so tight (50 100 miles)?

I understand the decompresser can affect the clearance so I will take pains to be sure it isn't part of the problem.

the motor is toast dude... sell it while it still runs...:cool: Just kidding- follow the manual on the valve adjustment and you will be fine... here is a link to a valve adjustment on the XR650R which may help...

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=332657&searchString=xr650r%20valve%20adjustment

right exhuast valve...hmmm i think i remember having a similar problem when i first checked my valves, i cant remember 100% but i think it had something to do with the decompression lever. It closes the right exhuast valve or something....sadly i dont even remember how i fixed the problem.:cool:

idk maby that info will help somebody tell you the problem:excuseme:

Great link. That ratcheting 10mm box end is the cat's pajamas, I gotta get me one.