New 08 won't start HELP!!!!!!

Just got my new 08 YZ450 and picked my son a KLX110 while we there. Yes it is true I paid $5133 out the door for my new 08 so there are 5 left. Once I got it home I can't get it started. Turned the fuel on pulled the choke out and kicked it about 20 times. It tried to fire a couple times but nothing after that. Any suggestions besides pulling the plug? I can't imagine it fould a plug this quick. Also I know you had to find top dead center when 4 strokes first arrived but is that still necessary when kicking it over now or just kick away?

It works best to push the engine up against compression, then reset the starter to the top and kick it.

Also, the newer 450's like to be primed when cold starting, especially in cold weather. Twist the throttle 2-4 times, then push it up against compression, then kick with the choke on. If it doesn't start in two, prime it twice more, and try again. Leave the throttle closed completely at first, and never open more than 1/4, and then only if it doesn't start after a few attempts.

I had the same problem with my 08. I ended up pulling the Hot Start lever and kicked it over about 3-4 times to clear the cylinder and then left the choke off. I still have problems starting it when cold. With other 4 strokes I have always given it a few squirts of gas. This bike does not seem to appreciate the extra gas. Good luck.

One thing that is sometimes is a problem with a brand new bike is the quality of the fuel the dealer put in it. What grade and how old effect starting. These bikes don't like regular unleaded especially if it's old. When it's cold outside, say below 50 degrees, 2 blips of the throttle pull the choke out and without twisting the throttle start it. If it doesn't start within 6-8 kicks put the choke back in and try again. It gets easier when the bike is broken in and you have the correct fuel. Mine didn't to want to start and the dealer told me to dump the fuel as it was regular 86. After I did that it started without problem.

Here's how mine starts. DON'T Prime the throttle. DON'T even touch the throttle. Full choke, pull the hot start lever and kick her good. Repeat as neccesary.... the key is hold the hot start lever even if it is dead cold. --RR

thats a good technique...its also good that way when you over oil or put a freshly oiled air filter to get it fired initially.

a MUST when buying a new bike is draining the float bowl , checking the plug, and checking the tank for old gas, or you will end up replacing the kickstarter on a bike with 0 k`s on it . i work at a dearlership and have saved myself the hassle every time by doing this :busted:

Now that you can start it, check the pilot circuit.

brand new bikes seam to take a little throttle when it just starts for the first time, mine had a little resistance in it until it ran for a bit. up until it's a hour or two old. you can turn up the idle screw this might help

Are you opening the throttle and kicking? It doesn't kick back? When I first brought my 08 home and tried to start it like my 2 stroke, I ended up with a sprained ankle. OK, I should have been wearing my riding boots:bonk: But still, the starter kicks back like a mule. In the manual in bold "The caburator is equiped with an accelerator pump, do not open the throttle when starting, or the kickstarter may kick back." Mistake 1: not raeding the manual. Mistake 2: not putting boots on. Mistake 3: opening throttle.

Also, don't stab it, just push it hard and smooth.

I haven't quite figured out cold weather starting yet. I tried once and the bike fired first kick. But I blipped the throttle too early and it died. I ended up kicking it about 20 times before trying the hot starter with the choke on. I'll try 2 squirts next time.

Question for the guys who give the bike throttle when starting: It doesn't kick back?

It's not likely to kick back very hard if you start in neutral, because timing is retarded more than usual. Starting in gear is another matter.

My '03 generally preferred to be cracked just open off idle when cold starting, and I frequently would (and do) use up to a quarter throttle to clear floods.

But, there was one day when I was starting the bike at one of those odd intermediate temps between a cold engine and one that is fully warmed up, and starting it in gear, also, when it kicked back. Now, over the years, I have been kicked back by just about every kind of big and small motorcycle that you can imagine, including several that I'm sure most of you have never heard of. In all that time, nothing ever hit as hard as that YZ450 did. It was more like being shot in the foot than being kicked back, and it nearly broke my foot, right through my A-stars. I don't start the bike in gear anymore if I can help it.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting, what does draining the carb do? I noticed the fuel shut off on the tank do not shut the gas all the way off, still trickles. Is this a problem I should fix?

It drains all of the fuel from the float bowl which inturn keeps the jets clean!!

If you let the fuel stay in the bowl for an extended period of time, it can clog

the jets which in turn makes it harder to start if it starts at all!

If it doesn't start, then you have to drop the floatbowl and remove the jets and clean them out.:applause: Oh, and replace the petcock if it leaks when shutoff!!!

When I got my 08, it was a bear to start. Turned out the plug gap was like .050!!! Setting it to spec made a big difference. I also changed the starter jet from the stock #68 to a #72. I found with the #68, I had to twist the grip a few times on cold start and had to let it sit running for a minute or two before I could give it any throttle. Now with the #72, I simply pull the choke, it fires off immediately and accepts throttle within five seconds. Fine tuning the fuel screw also helped quite a bit. I found that the screw, when set via the 'normal' manner, wanted to be at a bit over one turn from closed. I put a O2 wideband on it and set the screw with that. Now it is closer to 2-3/4 turns. No racing idle on choke, no popping on decel, perfect manners.

Interesting, what does draining the carb do? I noticed the fuel shut off on the tank do not shut the gas all the way off, still trickles. Is this a problem I should fix?

It drains all of the fuel from the float bowl which inturn keeps the jets clean!!

If you let the fuel stay in the bowl for an extended period of time, it can clog

the jets which in turn makes it harder to start if it starts at all!

If it doesn't start, then you have to drop the floatbowl and remove the jets and clean them out.:applause: Oh, and replace the petcock if it leaks when shutoff!!!

Not only that, but old fuel doesn't work as well as new fuel.

Mike, you can drain your carb just before you start it if your petcock doesn't shut the flow off completely, or just do it the day before when you fill the tank with new stuff; fuel that's only one day old in the carb will be fine. I like to drain my carb just after I fill the tank with new fuel and then dump the old carb fuel into the tank(after all, the tank already had some old fuel in it, and fuel is expensive these days!!!)