KX 85 & 100 rider weigh in

All you kx 85 and 100 riders please post your stats. I am 23 weigh 195 and am considering the 85/100 for a play bike. Any of you have these bikes for play? How do they do compared to, say a klx 143? Is there anywhere I can get stiffer springs? Lotsa questions thanks for the answers.

So there's really nobody? I was watching some youtube videos about the 100. There were some older teens riding and it seemed to really rip. I want this as a play bike because (I think) I will be able to sort of putt around with my friend who has a klx 143, but I will be able to do some light trail riding. I know it's not quite suited for my size but it should do the trick. I tried the klx with raised bars and springs for big boys, for playing on trails but the inability to feel comfy standing up and not having the ground clearance I wanted makes it too impractical.

So there's really nobody? I was watching some youtube videos about the 100. There were some older teens riding and it seemed to really rip. I want this as a play bike because (I think) I will be able to sort of putt around with my friend who has a klx 143, but I will be able to do some light trail riding. I know it's not quite suited for my size but it should do the trick. I tried the klx with raised bars and springs for big boys, for playing on trails but the inability to feel comfy standing up and not having the ground clearance I wanted makes it too impractical.

Get a crf150r.

Much better for a play bike, trust me i had one, just sold it though to get a 250.

you will regret getting the 85/100

I agree w/ Jeekins, your weight would be very challenging on a KX100. The motor's going to bog and choke w/ you on it.

I weigh 145lb 5'5", w/out gear. I have my son's KX100 setup for me right now, and I'm using FC heaviest KX100 springs for my weight.I think .33 fork springs, and 5.3 shock spring. I'm getting 80mm rider sag, and 22mm static, (ideal is 75 rider/25 static) w/ about 5/8" spring preload. My son's setup at 95lbs w/out gear and at 5'0" uses a second shock, lowered w/ an 8mm spacer, stock springs. I like his setup better than mine because it's quite a bit more soft and now having put on the firmer springs on a stock length shock, I like to put back his setup for riding the rocks. an 1" lower on the suspension, I can dab here and there , and this makes riding extreme rocks w/ stair stepped stuff feel like a walk in the park on a 150lb bike. btw, I am also using Renthal mini-hi 7/8 handlebar, which is 3" taller than stock bar. Even my son has no problems w/ this taller bar, which IMO is indicative that the stock bar is just too low for most riders.

A crf150r is nice, and you'll pay 3-4x the price for a newer unit vs. a good old used 2stroke KX100 that hasn't changed since '97. But if you weighed 150+, you don't really have many choices, as the thumper puts out more torque to pull your weight.

But you can find tons of KX100 used for anywhere as low as $900 (needs work) to '03-'05 KX's (ready to ride) for up to $1700. Also, KX100 shares parts w/ KX85. So Aftermarket support is abundant and extremely affordable. On ebay, they're selling NEw KX85 (AND SOME kx100) parts off '07's that have never even touched dirt! It's a regular thing now. someone's figured out that there's money to be had buying a new bike and selling the parts. There must be enough fat in the whole thing because I bought a brand new clutch basket off a KX85 for $65, brand new '07 shock w/ new spring for $100.

ANd if he's still selling brand new parts at those prices, his profits must be good.

Bought an oversize 2.4 gal gas tank used on a KX85 for $85. :cool: I've even seen stabilizers used, FMF spark arresters used, FMF pipes, tall seats, Dual sport headlights, kickstands, all used at 1/3rd the price of new stuff.

I'm 5'4", 29.5" inseam and weigh 125. Gay picture below, but it will give you an idea - I look big on the bike and I've done several things to open it up. It's a great little woods bike for me though and it's just fun, no way around it. Every man who sees my bike starts drooling and wants to play on it and begs to ride it. I've watched some big guys riding my bike (6'2" 200 lbs was probably the biggest) and it hauls them around better than I though it would. The CRF150f is a dog.

009.jpg

• Like 1

Im 6'1" 170 Lbs. and I mess around on my 85 all the time its pretty fun because you can man handle the thing. I wouldnt recommend getting somthing that size if you wanted to hit any big jumps.

The 85 has Stock engine with pro action suspension on it. and it moves pretty good with me on it.

All you kx 85 and 100 riders please post your stats. I am 23 weigh 195 and am considering the 85/100 for a play bike. Any of you have these bikes for play? How do they do compared to, say a klx 143? Is there anywhere I can get stiffer springs? Lotsa questions thanks for the answers.

Dude, you can set up an KX85 or 100 as a play bike for any weight. Hell they set up 50's and 110's for adults. You are starting with a mx chasis which is made for racing. Our mx club started an "adult 85" class for fun and it's a blast, you just have to set up the bike.

Suspension obviously is most important, I went with 38kg springs in the forks 10 weight oil and a 5.6 rear shock spring. This will get you close to play. There are lots of options here including revalve if your really serious. I got my springs and suspension work from cannon racecraft (springs) and house of horsepower for suspension tuning. They know how to set up these bikes.

have fun..

kawasaki has different names for their dirt bikes,kx and klx. one of them says it is a motocross bike and the other says it is a trail bike:prof: . you are getting a bike with the kx on the side. IT IS NOT A PLAY BIKE!!!:busted: You are getting a full blown race bike. if you want a play bike get a klx 300, ttr 230, crf 230, dr-z 250.

I'm 5'4", 29.5" inseam and weigh 125. Gay picture below, but it will give you an idea - I look big on the bike and I've done several things to open it up. It's a great little woods bike for me though and it's just fun, no way around it. Every man who sees my bike starts drooling and wants to play on it and begs to ride it. I've watched some big guys riding my bike (6'2" 200 lbs was probably the biggest) and it hauls them around better than I though it would. The CRF150f is a dog.

009.jpg

thats what I thought. The peak power is pretty stinking high too. Pretty close to my yz250 4t stock. And since I always seem to be juicing the motor, I'll be on the pipe.

kawasaki has different names for their dirt bikes,kx and klx. one of them says it is a motocross bike and the other says it is a trail bike:prof: . you are getting a bike with the kx on the side. IT IS NOT A PLAY BIKE!!!:busted: You are getting a full blown race bike. if you want a play bike get a klx 300, ttr 230, crf 230, dr-z 250.

But the way I see it a KX-motocross race bike for kids. KX with and adult on it=play bike. six gears on the pipe and mid 20 HP. It should rip my friends klx 143 apart.

I plan i getting a kx100 if i can fit on it or a 85 for my next bike in spring. Im around 155, am i too heavy? my 150f doesnt have to many problems pulling me around

It depends. if you're kahooneys are developed enough, and you're tall enough you could ride a 250F. Gotta try a 100 out first if possible offroad, not down the street at the dealership.

kawasaki has different names for their dirt bikes,kx and klx. one of them says it is a motocross bike and the other says it is a trail bike:prof: . you are getting a bike with the kx on the side. IT IS NOT A PLAY BIKE!!!:worthy: You are getting a full blown race bike. if you want a play bike get a klx 300, ttr 230, crf 230, dr-z 250.

Every kid wants a MX bike! :blah: Anything less will just be "acceptable" and you'll be wanting a KX anyway.

Go for a KX! :busted::ride:

• Like 1