650r D/s Conversion?

I have been searching and reading about putting a D/S kit on my 07 650R and the more I read the more confused I get. Can anyone sum it all up for me? Basically, what I want to do is install a Baja Designs or Electrosport kit and a high output stator. I've looked on their sites and notice the kits don't come with a battery. I've read about running a battery with these setups but can't really find all the info I need to do it. I am also unsure of running the a/c & d/c rectifiers. I would just like to have everything I need and all the info I need so I don't have any surprises. I'm not an electrician, but I can follow directions if I can find them. I would like to do this pretty soon while the weather is still cold. I bought the bike new and got it plated by the dealer (don't ask:smirk: ) so now I need to get it legal or at least close. :applause: Can anybody give the the straight dope on the d/s conversion?:cool:

I dont know much about the kits, but i made my kit, and rewound my stator, i spent less than $100 on it. the stator has enough power to run everything, i put a halogen car headlight bulb in, and got a glass headlight, got a switch and blinkers from a cbr 600 or something from ebay. i wired everything from the power wire, the stock rectifier works just fine, doesnt get hot. i bought banjo bolts for the brake lights which work well. it really doesnt look too bad. im sure this isnt much help since youre buying a kit, but if youre not stone set on a kit, id save the money and build your own, and dont use a battery, youre blinkers wont be that bright, but its legal and thats what counts. ive read that the baja designs is cheaply made

I wouldn't be against making my own kit. I just didn't know how I would wire in the signals and all. Although it's not required to have signals on a bike in Indiana, I feel a little safer if they are on there. It's not me I'm worried about is all the other crazies on the road. I guess I'm just getting anxious to get this thing on the road...legally. And I want to try to keep from having my bike tore apart for weeks while I try to get all the pieces together.

definatley rewind your stator, its easy, start with this link see if it sounds easy enough http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/brpstatr.asp (dont know if i linked that right, oh well try it out)

ill try to get some underseat pics if i can figure it out, i wish i didnt need blinkers. really all you would need is banjo bolts for brake lights, and you can ride, your stock stator will run the stock headlight and taillight, but if you want to be able to see and be seen at night, you need a better headlight, and stator rewind. i plan to ride tomorrow if the roads arent too slippery, so i can get some pics. meanwhile do some searches on duallport wiring diagrams and see what you can find. i dont know why, but some people say you have to switch the voltage from ac to dc for some reason, but i didnt.

If we don't have signals then we are required to use hand signals. When I start to make and turn and somebody starts honking at me because I didn't signal I'll be using hand signals, but I don't think it's any that's covered in the motorcycles operator manual. :cool:

Im in the middle of D/Sing my XRR right now. I opted to have turn signals because I plan on road riding a fair amount (hopefully SM conversion soon) and Id rather not get hit trying to make a turn.

Im piecing my kit together, the previous owner had already put the brake light switches in, so I didnt need to get those.

I bought most of my parts through Forrest @ wheeling Cycle supply If you are new here on Thumper Talk than I will be the first to tell you his sales and service is top notch, otherwise Im sure you have heard of him before.

anyway, he has a dualsport combo kit for a decent price. It doesnt include a headlight though. It gives you a choice of LED tail lights, LED signals, and includes a horn, wire harness, signal/horn/light switch. It is also designed to run off its own battery pack (8 AA). He also has a nice LED unit that is designed to fit in the stock XR tail light (to replace that 194 bulb) and it has brake/tail functions. It works well on AC or DC and is very bright.

I was going to try to run everything on the stock stator for now, but I added an extra LED brake light that is doesnt work well on the AC electrical system and flickers at low RPM, so I might have to rewind my stator and put in a DC rectifier. Any thoughts on this? All my other lighting seems to work fine, but it would be nice to put in a real battery that can stay charged by the stator.

I'm installing a kit now on my 05. I got it from dualsportamerica. It took a LONG time to get, but the kit is a good one. Don't worry about rewinding the stator if you're just going to run a legal headlight. Installing the kit is easy and if you're good at wiring, you can make your own so it's cheaper. And where I live a battery is required to keep the tail light on after the engine is off, so my kit and the last BajaDesigns kit I bought came with a battery. It all comes down to spending the money for someone else to assemble the wiring harness or you doing it yourself and buying all the materials seperately.

Im in the middle of D/Sing my XRR right now. I opted to have turn signals because I plan on road riding a fair amount (hopefully SM conversion soon) and Id rather not get hit trying to make a turn.

Im piecing my kit together, the previous owner had already put the brake light switches in, so I didnt need to get those.

I bought most of my parts through Forrest @ wheeling Cycle supply If you are new here on Thumper Talk than I will be the first to tell you his sales and service is top notch, otherwise Im sure you have heard of him before.

anyway, he has a dualsport combo kit for a decent price. It doesnt include a headlight though. It gives you a choice of LED tail lights, LED signals, and includes a horn, wire harness, signal/horn/light switch. It is also designed to run off its own battery pack (8 AA). He also has a nice LED unit that is designed to fit in the stock XR tail light (to replace that 194 bulb) and it has brake/tail functions. It works well on AC or DC and is very bright.

I was going to try to run everything on the stock stator for now, but I added an extra LED brake light that is doesnt work well on the AC electrical system and flickers at low RPM, so I might have to rewind my stator and put in a DC rectifier. Any thoughts on this? All my other lighting seems to work fine, but it would be nice to put in a real battery that can stay charged by the stator.

i have the baja designs kit with an electric start on my bike and use both the DC regulator/rectifier and an AC regulator. the stator has two output wires and one goes to the ac regulator to run the lights, no battery needed, and the other goes to the DC reg/rec to run everything else and charge the battery for the e-start. that's how it should be anyway, whoever installed the kit has the lights running off of the battery and it drains the battery pretty quick. i just figured out what the problem was and it looks to be a real simple rewire. baja designs has a good PDF here that has clear instructions on the wiring.

maybe some of these LED flashers will solve the problem? in fact there are a number of components here that would make a DS kit much cheaper than baja designs kit. my kit was already on the bike but i would go for a DIY kit rather than pay baja designs high prices. they do have good tech support, they'll stay on the phone and walk you through problems, and i have no complaints other than the prices.

my dual sport kit from Baja designs had everything. It was big $$$ but if you add up all the stuff you get it's about the same. The few things i didn't like were the whimpy horn,got a better one from the junk yard.The wiring instructions are very vague. The mount for the headlight is a joke (on the quick disconnect style) You need to make extra brace(s) for the extened rear fender tail light.The blinker unit died so i took it apart and repaired it.

The kit came with a regulator\rectifier and a small battery pack.

The head light is nice and bright.I like the rear flush mount signals.