CRF450 faster than WR450?

Faster where??? off a cliff, on a motocross track, drag racing on a road, through tight single track in the trees?? The CRF 450 has more power than the typical uncorked WR and it is lighter , but I feel that trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. WR Dave

Faster where??? off a cliff, on a motocross track, drag racing on a road, through tight single track in the trees?? The CRF 450 has more power than the typical uncorked WR and it is lighter , but I feel that trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. WR Dave

i would agree plus you need to factor in gearing

CRF450R or CRF450X

EXACTLY

A CRF450x is basically honda's WR 450f. Green sticker, E-start, lights, wide ratio tranny, etc. In the same state of tune, both make about the same peak hp...the CRF/x has a little more on the bottom and the WR has a little more on the top.

A CRF450R is like the YZ 450f. Yes, a CRF450R has more power than a typical uncorked WR and the power is more agressive too. However, I've ridden two 450Rs with quiet pipes (an '04 with an FMF Q and an '05 with a Q2) and from what I can remember those bikes didn't pull any harder than my WR...the quiet pipes really hurts the power on those bikes.

A 450R with stock gearing tops out in the high 80's. A 450x with the stock gearing tops out in the low 90's and a WR tops out in the high 90's...yes 4th and 5th on the WR are spaced wider than 4th and 5th on the 450x

.the CRF/x has a little more on the bottom and the WR has a little more on the top.

I'd take my beefier top end power any day over a somewhat beefier bottom end. The WR has a ridiculous amount of low end power as it is, it can't even put all of it to the ground effectively, even with a brand new Maxxis Desert IT tire and perfect loamy soil. Most of the power is wasted on wheelspin, my WR will break the rear tire loose even on 5th gear, all I gotta do is give it some gas and then hold on for dear life...:cool::applause::busted:

Bottom line is all three bikes are scary fast, doesn't matter if one is 1/4 second faster than the other. Different riders will affect the result of a race between the bikes, it mostly comes down to who's the better rider. A couple of weeks ago I raced my yz against some crf-r's, they beat me a couple times because I wasn't shifting properly. Once I got my shifting sorted out, it was bye bye for the hondas.

I've raced my buddy to around 101-103mph(couldn't see exactly) on a forest road. He has a 450r with some work done to the engine. He's faster to around 60(maybe 1/2 to 1 bike length) then the taller gears in the WR take over. All in all it's a pretty good race. my .02

My son & I have identical 2007 WR450's with all the mods/jetting done, stock pipes. These always top out around 80 mph on a level dirt road @ around 3000' MSL.

This is both with the speedo's calibrated for tire size correctly and with GPS. They will always be around high 70's to low 80's.

How are you getting 90's out of a WR450 without changing gearing?

Thanks,

Bob

The initial question was a good question comparing the X to WR, or the F to the YZ.

I have a WR, but I think both bikes are excellent bikes (though we hear some older model Hondas have a valve opportunity).

I am not sure how many riders we have out there that can challenge the top limits of either of these bikes on the both the low and top end situations. Both are aluminum tube technology, very close on weight, 5 gears, etc.

For 98+% of us, either of these bikes have more low and top end that exceeds our riding capabilities.

If your looking to get a bike, go with who gives you the best deal.

My son & I have identical 2007 WR450's with all the mods/jetting done, stock pipes. These always top out around 80 mph on a level dirt road @ around 3000' MSL.

This is both with the speedo's calibrated for tire size correctly and with GPS. They will always be around high 70's to low 80's.

Thanks,

Bob

My '05 will top out around 94 mph on pavement (gps). Stock gearing, YZ ex. cam and free mods. It seems to be jetted perfectly for my area (400' el.). Maybe the difference is the pavement and it's ability to pull red-line in 5th gear do to good jetting.

Thanks,

Bob

I've seen just over 100mph on my GPS....stock gear,mods,jetting and a pipe....my buddies '05 wr250 will do 74 on a flat road. Altitude of 50 feet or so.

Bob, Check out this helmet cam footage from my 450....this was pre-pipe and I saw over 90 mph this day. Around 4:15 in the video is where I make a blast over 90mph...just watch the sound...the music is loud

Kevin

Fuggin sweeet:thumbsup: That is the monster that is the WR 450f. I still can't understand why people don't believe the top end is so fast on these things with the stock gearing.

My personal best was 74mph in 4th on a road with a 15mph speed limit. Would have clicked into 5th but I was already dusting my buddy on his 250 smoker and I was running out of road super quick :busted: Getting caught would have been jail time for sure :applause: Normally I'm not that stupid, but there is something about finding out what your new toy can do that brings the devil out. :cool: Now I keep it to 15 or 20 mph on the roads...I ain't stupid

Bike had all of three hours on it. Yes I broke it in hard

first off I can tell you for sure that crf450 is the very fastest bike to drop the valves and die. I test rode an 07 crf450r it sounded like it could blow up at any second , and it was a brand new bike . so I got an 07 wr450f and I'll tell you without the mods it sucked . but now I've regeared and all the mods and rejetted it. I've had it to 111mph and let off . I'm running 15/48 gearing and it will still carry the front thru all the gears. I think it is stupid to buy a bike a have to mod the heck out of it just to make it what it should have been in the first place , but in the end the bike is bad . I still do not understand how they can keep selling bikes that are not right out of the box and not get a class action law suit. If Ford sold a car that ran this bad out of the box they would have to fix it. right? or in comes the lawers

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Bob

I had the same experience when I had an 05 with stock gearing I could never get it past the like 81 or 82 mph, with GPS measuring my speed. I'm talking about wide open, tucked down in 5th gear. Then again I was at about 3000 feet. Guys are claiming they've done 100 with stock gearing at around sea level. Could 3000 fewer feet add nearly 20mph to the bike's top speed. I'm not going to call anyone a liar, so I believe it's possible. I just didn't know air pressure would make that much of a difference. I wonder what a the top speed of an uncorked wr is at 6000 feet. Anyone?