HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sixotoo

Soon to be Xr650R Owner..Decompressor?

9 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is the decompressor lever used for? Is it used under normal riding conditions / situations or only for starting? I remember when I was a kid (I'm 47 now) a neighbor had a Honda 125 that had a compression release that he used constantly while riding. I assume that a compression release lever and a decompressor are the same thing. Is the auto-decompressor designed for easier starting or only to control kickback while starting?

BTW I am picking up a 2000 XR650R on Wednesday!! I'm so excited. Current owners says everything is still stock except for gas tank and street kit so I will have some work to do before spring. Can't wait.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is the decompressor lever used for? Is it used under normal riding conditions / situations or only for starting? I remember when I was a kid (I'm 47 now) a neighbor had a Honda 125 that had a compression release that he used constantly while riding. I assume that a compression release lever and a decompressor are the same thing. Is the auto-decompressor designed for easier starting or only to control kickback while starting?

BTW I am picking up a 2000 XR650R on Wednesday!! I'm so excited. Current owners says everything is still stock except for gas tank and street kit so I will have some work to do before spring. Can't wait.

The auto -decomp is used for easier starting. You dont need to use the decomp lever unless starting.

Also they are used for compression starting down a hill. Just pull it in while rolling and slowly release. The rear wheel never slides and the bike just starts.

Good to use to clear the bike out after a crash.

Yup.

With the ignition switch off, crack the throttle wide-open and hold it. with your left hand pull and hold the decomp lever and kick the bike swiftly 10-20 times (depending on how bad you flooded it).

Then close the throttle, turn the power on, find top-dead....and one nice swift kick should light er up.

If the bike your getting has an edelbrock carb on it, then this little dance is rarely needed or used.

And the little lever ting-a-lings at RPM and gives you something to listen to.

Yep, so I wear earplugs and chew gum.:cool:

Also they are used for compression starting down a hill. Just pull it in while rolling and slowly release. The rear wheel never slides and the bike just starts.

I just learned something new.

BTW I used ride an old XT500, always used the decompression when starting. It had a fierce kickback.

But on my 650R I never use the decomp. Just push the kickstart slowly an inch past TDC, then back a bit, then big kick.