01 650l hard to start-spark problem!

With spark plug pulled, I only get a spark when I hit the starter and when I let go of the starter. It does'nt keep sparking as I hold it. Trying to start it when cold takes some patience ( and a few backfires!) but once i get it to run, it runs fine, and starts up when warm. Typical mods, dave,pipe,de smog, k & n. etc. Thanks for your time!

With spark plug pulled, I only get a spark when I hit the starter and when I let go of the starter. It does'nt keep sparking as I hold it. Trying to start it when cold takes some patience ( and a few backfires!) but once i get it to run, it runs fine, and starts up when warm. Typical mods, dave,pipe,de smog, k & n. etc. Thanks for your time!

Someone on here posted a similar problem, if you're getting spark when you wack the starter on, nothing while cranking, then another spark when you let go, seems like a weak spark vs. no spark.

To rule out the safeties, you can ground both wires that go to the clutch-lever switch. This will bypass the kickstand switch, the neutral switch and (of course) the clutch switch.

This sounds more like a bad ground, bad coil, bad plug, bad plug-cap resistor, bad CDI or bad piockup problem, though.

Investigate from cheapest to most expensive-

Dave

whats wierd is it runs fine but starting only sparks intermittend, if its running strong all the time you may wanna check electrical out. I know thats alot but it has to be in there somewhere. Got another CDI box to try out?

• 11 years later...