HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wes782

powder coating

5 posts in this topic

ive been searching cant find anything. anyone have any pictures of parts they have powder coated a dark brown/gold to make it look like mag? side covers, hubs?

also any pics of any 06-08 bikes 450s with black frames?

thanks

anyone else have any ideas for powder coating parts?

Wes - here's a pic of my DRZ400SM ignition cover that I powdercoated at home. I used the bronze powder from www.eastwood.com , with a little transparent red mixed in.

IMG_1755.jpg

Here's a pic of my 07 with a black powdercoated frame.

IMG_1891.jpg

The only issue with powdercoating something aluminum is if it is a high stressed part (such as a frame). Some resources state that at temps over 350 degrees, the aluminum's heat treating will change and it can become brittle. Now, tons of people powdercoat frames, swingarms and such all the time without problems, but just to be sure, when I had my frame done, I had the powdercoater keep the temp between 325 and 350, and just bake it a little longer.

Wes - here's a pic of my DRZ400SM ignition cover that I powdercoated at home. I used the bronze powder from www.eastwood.com , with a little transparent red mixed in.

IMG_1755.jpg

Here's a pic of my 07 with a black powdercoated frame.

IMG_1891.jpg

The only issue with powdercoating something aluminum is if it is a high stressed part (such as a frame). Some resources state that at temps over 350 degrees, the aluminum's heat treating will change and it can become brittle. Now, tons of people powdercoat frames, swingarms and such all the time without problems, but just to be sure, when I had my frame done, I had the powdercoater keep the temp between 325 and 350, and just bake it a little longer.

thats what i was looking for ( the ignition cover) im thinkin ignition cover in that color along with hubs..