Choke Question

I have a XR 600 R (1998) and I have been having hesatation problemson the low and mid range.A guy said to try to put the choke on and see what happens. Well when I put the choke in the middle position the bike runs great !!!!!! So that means I am running to lean low and mid range right?

I am running 160 main,65 pilot,E-series exaust with stainless header. Is it the needle,to low ? :cool:

anybody have any thoughts ?

Thank you in advance for the info,I would like to fix it this weekend and go riding if possible :applause::busted::crazy:

Definitely clean it. Be sure to check the float level too. The gas level could be too low and that will cause a lean condition. My money is on clogged or varnished jets and fuel passages.

It seems most carb or fuel delivery issues can be resolved with a good carb cleaning as Cleonard stated... and the price is right! :cool:

Hey Guys ! I got a chance to take my carb off tonight and this is what I found: main 160,pilot 65, needle #A2D (or) #A20 set on clip pos. # 4. So I lowered the clip 1 more notch putting it at the bottom of the needle,and changed the pilot to 68. The carb was very clean as I just cleaned it last mo. I Will call mike Jacov at XRs Only tomarrow and check the number of the needle He said they have after market ones that make a small differance.So before I put it on the bike tomarrow, do any of you have any other thing to add ? Did I miss something ? The fuel screw was turned 2 1/2 turns out. Thanks for all the input, it is a great help !!! Rember it ran perfect set on mid choke pos. prior. :busted:

Thanks again Danny V :applause::cool:

Hey guys, I put the carb on today and it ran like crap ! main165,pilot 68.the needle was in the notch one up from the bottom. XRs only said they use the needle from the 96 year model.When I gave it gas it still had a small hesatation and when on the rev up it was sputtering a little like it was to rich and it poped once or twice.Should I put back the 160 main and leave the 68 pilot? Prior had main 160,pilot 65 and ran great with the choke in the 1/2 way pos.all the way through the power band.I did not change the clip on the needle,I left it as is.The carb was clean when I took it apart. :crazy:

Any ideas guys ? Would it hurt it if I ran the choke in the mid possitsion ? It has a billet choke plate(solid - no door opening)With the choke in the mid pos. the throttle response is very crisp and smooth.That means I am making the bike run richer with the choke in mid pos. So when I put bigger main and pilot why the change is not for the better? Is it possible that at sea level the main at 160 and the pilot at 65 is to rich ? If so than why did it run so well when I put the choke in the mid pos. :prof: I am getting pissey :cool: Any comments would be welcome ( Be nice now ? ) Thanks again in advance for everyons help...........Danny V :applause::busted: