Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lawndude

have to use hot start

14 posts in this topic

if i have to use the hot start once i have been riding for while to get it started after a stall, what does this tell me about my jetting? my bike used the wire tie acc pump mod to cure the bog- runs great otherwise has a small hanging idle. 2000 426 full yosh 168main 40 pilot.

It means nothing about your jetting. It means your 4-stroke engine is hot and needs to be leaned out to start easily, which is normal. That's why they put it there.

It means nothing about your jetting. It means your 4-stroke engine is hot and needs to be leaned out to start easily, which is normal. That's why they put it there.

What sirthumpalot said.

A hot 4 stroke engine needs a leaner fuel/air mixture to start more easily, and it's not practical to make a leaner fuel/air mix automatically happen with a carburetor (on a 4 stroke motorcycle)

What sirthumpalot said.

A hot 4 stroke engine needs a leaner fuel/air mixture to start more easily, and it's not practical to make a leaner fuel/air mix automatically happen with a carburetor (on a 4 stroke motorcycle)

Yep.. hotstarter makes it easier to start when hot.

Also useful in recovering from floding with too much gasoline.

yes, i understand what it is for and how it works. A few of the bikes I have been on did not need the hs pulled to start the bike if it stalls. It is a pain in the a$$ to pull out the button, start it and push it back in and go. i realize i can get a dr. D, but i don't have one yet.

Being new to the YZF and new to 4 stroke kick start dirt bikes in general, I am wondering how much of a pain is it really to pull the hot start button? I do it on my chain saw (although it has an automatic reset). What does the Dr. D kit include that makes it so much easier?

yes, i understand what it is for and how it works. A few of the bikes I have been on did not need the hs pulled to start the bike if it stalls.

That means odds are those bikes were runnin a bit lean. Not a good thing actually.

Being new to the YZF and new to 4 stroke kick start dirt bikes in general, I am wondering how much of a pain is it really to pull the hot start button? I do it on my chain saw (although it has an automatic reset). What does the Dr. D kit include that makes it so much easier?

Next time you're 20 minutes into a moto and you dump it, you'll instantly understand. The Dr. D kit puts the hot start lever under your thumb so you don't have to reach down to the carb. When you're fresh it's convenient, when you're exhausted it's a necessity. :cool:

thank you, thats the kind of answer i was looking for. I wasnt for sure if everyone else used there hot starts most of the time. The factory hot start button is no big deal if you are just play riding- but when your in a hurry it just creates another challenge. I ordered a dr. d today:thumbsup: