HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cutting the stock silencer down??

6 posts in this topic

Is there any gains from cutting the stock silencer? I want to cut down the stock pipe about 3" so it does not stick out so far and to maybe gain a little performance if there is any to be gained from the stock pipe.

no gain what so ever except ruining a perfectly good exhaust that can be sold on TT or ebay....n fact it may even give you worse performance

selll it and buy what you want :banghead:

exactly what he said... none or loss of performance and it will be a little louder.... not good. :banghead:

if your wantin a little more power with shorter pipe... sell your stock one on ebay and get a fmf 4.1 slip on.

I dont have a 450 but I have an 04 250F. I was in the same position as you, not liking the length of the pipe. I went ahead and cut it off about 2 1/4 inches. Its hard to say if I gained or lost any performance, if I did, its not enough to notice a difference. Its also not much louder, you wouldnt be able to tell but it does look much nicer! :banghead:

if you shorten the can and increase the volume of the chamber (remove some packing material) it increases bottom end response without sacrificing too much top end. i did this a couple yrs ago with a powercore 4,shortened it 3" and took out the fluffy packing leaving the 1/2" matt which i siliconed to inside of the can to keep it from rattling around;it worked really well. this was done after discussions with a fmf engineer and the can is still in use on my buddies wr450. kinda funny,fmf shortened the cans the next yr:thumbsup: