Started my USD conversion. Need some help...

I am working through this now. The main question is, does a CRF wheel fit your forks? If the answer is yes, then you can get a CRF-X wheel, speedo drive, and cable, and it will hook up to your gauges and work normally.

I am swapping 07 CRF 250 forks onto my L and keeping the stock instruments. I purchased an X wheel and everything bolts up and works well. You need the X wheel because it has slots for the tabs on the speedo drive, and you need the X cable because it is threaded on both ends.

If the axles and spacing are same, it should work.

BP

the wheels from an X and crf will fit, but i already have a few spares from my cr, so to keep the cost down i was wondering if the speedo drive from the X wheels would fit the cr wheel.

the wheels from an X and crf will fit, but i already have a few spares from my cr, so to keep the cost down i was wondering if the speedo drive from the X wheels would fit the cr wheel.

I do not think so, because the CR hub does not have slots for the tabs in the speedo drive. If you have a good machinist, they may be able cut them in, but I would have no idea how.

It might be easier to buy a CRF-X wheel and sell yours to offset the cost.

Cool project though.

BP

Kuritaro9, Brtp4 is right. The CRF-X gear box will not fit the CR wheel because of the lack of tabs cut into the hub. You would have to cut your own with a die grinder or get yourself a CRF-X wheel. I ended up going with the X wheel myself to keep my mechanical speedo on my XR400. I have heard of guys adapting the XR4 wheel and speedo-drive on the newer CR USD units, but I saw a X wheel on Ebay and snagged it.

Kuritaro9, Brtp4 is right. The CRF-X gear box will not fit the CR wheel because of the lack of tabs cut into the hub. You would have to cut your own with a die grinder or get yourself a CRF-X wheel. I ended up going with the X wheel myself to keep my mechanical speedo on my XR400. I have heard of guys adapting the XR4 wheel and speedo-drive on the newer CR USD units, but I saw a X wheel on Ebay and snagged it.

cool, thanks for the info. i may look into cutting the tabs myself. it cant be nearly as tough as my last few conversions...01 cr modded to use 02-07 body, then completly swapping frames to an 03, and stuffing the 01 motor in it...:thumbsup:

V6010144.jpg

976.jpg

I wound up using a CR frt wheel and for now, Im using GPS as speedo/odo. Most likely will change to Trailtech Vapor or similar computer. Brtp4 is correct, you will either have to use the CRFX wheel/drive, then figure what axle/spacing. Personally, the GPS is working better than expected...I may just keep using that. BTW, thanks for posting the pics of Japan (Im digging the scenery!). I have always wanted to visit there. We could use some of those mini gas-sipper cars here in USA right now. Good Luck w/your swap

~Guy

I really want to relocate my bar mounts forward from the stupid stock XRR upper clamp set up. Do you guys think I should buy an aftermarket upper triple clamp or just do the conversion to the CR/CRF front end??:thumbsup:

I really want to relocate my bar mounts forward from the stupid stock XRR upper clamp set up. Do you guys think I should buy an aftermarket upper triple clamp or just do the conversion to the CR/CRF front end??:thumbsup:

Kinda like an apple and an apple pie. One is a lot more work and cost, but the USDs from teh CRF are some of the best forks ever made. YOu can get the XRR forks to work pretty well though.

I would say your best bet would be these:

http://www.brpmoto.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_78_94_1484&products_id=610

They would move the bars forward a small amount, and higher by quite a bit. Changing bend can bring you forward a little more.

My impression is that the XRR has a decent riding position. Not as good as a modern MX bike, because the cylinder is so large that everything sits back. But not nearly as bad as the L. If I am correct, these small changes would almost center you on the bike and place a lot more weight on the front, and probably fix what you are trying to fix quite well. In other words, unless you are unhappy with the forks, I would get the upper clamp.

If I may offer another $.02, I would spend money on a steering damper when you do the clamp, it's a huge help.

BP