yz450 03-07 plug coil fit 2000 yz426

Will A yz450 03-07 plug coil fit 2000 yz426?

I can still get you a set up for your 426. Mike

That coil on the cap looks huge..... I wonder if it would be a problem with an oversized tank? Also, are there any proven performance gains?

...are there any proven performance gains?
Performance gains from ignitions result only when the ignition being improved on is weak enough that it causes the engine to misfire under a load, fails to fire lean cruising mixtures at part throttle, fouls plugs easily when starting, or something of that nature. Having said that, some of these faults do occasionally occur with the stock 426 coil. The 450 coils, and the Hayabusa units sometimes used in their place, do produce more spark energy, and can fix some of these problems. To that extent, yes, there is a performance gain.
Performance gains from ignitions result only when the ignition being improved on is weak enough that it causes the engine to misfire under a load, fails to fire lean cruising mixtures at part throttle, fouls plugs easily when starting, or something of that nature. Having said that, some of these faults do occasionally occur with the stock 426 coil. The 450 coils, and the Hayabusa units sometimes used in their place, do produce more spark energy, and can fix some of these problems. To that extent, yes, there is a performance gain.

So if my stock coil set-up is working properly (which it is), I won't notice any difference....

How long do traditional coils last?

If it's working effectively, which is how it was intended to work, so I guess you'd call that properly, then no, you wouldn't really see it.

Coil life is hard to forecast. They do degrade a little with use, but you should see that as higher resistance on a VOM, and unless it's out of spec, it should work.

But the newer ones do produce more output energy with less input current, so the spark is hotter when starting, even as the stator weakens.

It could show up as just a "crisper" running engine, but nothing's going to be staggeringly different about it.

If it's working effectively, which is how it was intended to work, so I guess you'd call that properly, then no, you wouldn't really see it.

Thanks. I think I'll keep the traditional set-up. If there is nothing to gain, what is the point of doing the mod?

The mod gets the coil off the frame, easier to work on carb, and is a more consistent higher quality coil, slightly lighter. Mine has been on my bike for years. Mike

It also give you good access to your shock preload ring.

It also give you good access to your shock preload ring.

You lost me. :cool:

You lost me. :cool:

After removing the stock coil from the frame I found it quite a bit easier to access the preload ring on the shock. This makes it a heck of a lot easier when trying to adjust/set the race sag. Hope this makes sense.

That's right, they had the thing mounted on the right rear cradle tube. My mental picture is usually of mt old 250F, where it was under the tank. Sorry.