Changed first flat, found problem.

Hey guys, I changed my first dirt bike flat on the front tire of my xr650r and to make a long story short, I found that one of the four bolts that hold the clamp over the axle is broken. Are those just studs that I can unscrew and replace, or what? Any suggestions are appreciated, I would really rather not have my front tire come off when it's not supposed to:crazy:! Thanks.

if not I'll get the dealer to order them for me

Cant you just buy a long thread high grade bolt at a hardware store and cut the end off with a dremel to match the length of the post you pulled off the fork...then back the nut over the cut bolt to ensure clear threads....voila! you'll have the threaded post you need-->just an idea.

They are normal threads on both ends. I believe the end that threads into the fork is a wee bit longer if I remember right.

Also a neat trick to help remove the old stud is to grid the remaining end into a flat bar. This give loads more bite to vice grips or a good adjustable wrench.

Before you put vise-grips on the broken stud, if there is enough thread, put 2 nuts on the threads and tighten the outer nut against the inner nut. You should be able to put a wrench on the inner nut and back the stud out. These 4 studs seems to get overtorqued a lot (I replaced all 4 when I snapped one off since it was a used bike and I didn't know what the guy before had done).

That's all good advice, thanks a lot! I was able to order them from a local dealer so I'm in good shape. You're probably right about over-tourquing, the manual only calls for like 9 ft-lbs of tourque on them. I just snugged up the three good ones and threadlocked them so I could test my tire here in the yard. I'll change the broken one when they come in and have a spare for just in case.