HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhythmofbeing

650R flood during hard braking

5 posts in this topic

During hard braking (especially stoppies) my 650 will go really rich and often stall out. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure if it's a jetting problem, a fuel delivery problem, or just the way the bike works. I have a Clarke desert tank on it, if that makes a difference.

ive had the same problem:excuseme:

you explained it a lot better than i could have, ive had the bike stall at stop signs, cause i pulled a stoppie into it, i had the clutch pulled in so there should have been no problem. Not only that but when i just normaly brake and downshift to come to a stop the bike idles really low and sounds like its gona die. I did a airbox mod and havent re-jetted yet so that might be part of my problem. Being new to working on bikes the fricken Carb is 1 hard thing to dial in wonce you **** with it.

During hard braking (especially stoppies) my 650 will go really rich and often stall out. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not sure if it's a jetting problem, a fuel delivery problem, or just the way the bike works. I have a Clarke desert tank on it, if that makes a difference.

check your float height. if the float (in the carb) is too high, when you break hard the front dives, gas in the float bowl shifts and can push the float up and cut off fuel supply. I use to have the same thing happen during hard breaking or riding down steep hills.

you can take the float bowl off and bend the "tangs" on the float so that it sits lower. Kinda hard for me to explain....but does that make any sense?

it sounds like the float plunger is opening when weight shifts forward. thats why bikes will flood if plunger seals is bad and its parked on a hill. check plunger floats, check seals and look at plunger look for scratches and irregularities. i wouldn't recommend bending the "tangs" too much. they are a little tempermental

Thanks for the suggestions--now I've got an idea of where to look next.

I did tighten the fuel/air screw (or pilot adjustment, or whatever) last night, which leaned out the idle. Now it doesn't stall, but it's too lean.