What a difference.........

one clip position makes! This 650R I have now I've only ridden a few times on very short rides. The other one I sold was plated and when I felt I needed a 650R fix I road it. The one I have now always felt less lively and had a slight bog right off the bottom. So I kinda figured it was a bit lean. They are both uncorked, stock exhaust with open end cap. Well I was dinkin' around in the garage and decided to pull the carb and have a look. Nice and clean. 170 main 65s pilot cool. Checked the needle and it was on the second from the top. Changed it to third from top. Wholly sheep dip, what a difference! The bog is gone. Instant throttle response. Took it for VERY short ride up the street. The street is wet so I didn't open it up but DANG this thing rips! 1st thru 3rd I'm smokin' the rear tire at HALF throttle. Had to back out of it because I caught a little truck. Took her back up to 3rd, pulled the front end up, banged 4th, caught the truck again. Went home very happy. I love XR650Rs!!:banghead: Bruce

I know the feeling... once I re jetted, and went to a 68S, 175, comp needle

3rd seat, open manifold, UNI filter, and a open stock exhaust tip the bikes starts first kick most of the time and rips... with no sign of a bog anywhere in the power band. I feel the top end power/speed is limited because of the stock motor, exhaust set up, etc. but I guess it can only get better! It still seems to want to do 100mph wide open... :banghead:

:banghead:

one clip position makes! This 650R I have now I've only ridden a few times on very short rides. The other one I sold was plated and when I felt I needed a 650R fix I road it. The one I have now always felt less lively and had a slight bog right off the bottom. So I kinda figured it was a bit lean. They are both uncorked, stock exhaust with open end cap. Well I was dinkin' around in the garage and decided to pull the carb and have a look. Nice and clean. 170 main 65s pilot cool. Checked the needle and it was on the second from the top. Changed it to third from top. Wholly sheep dip, what a difference! The bog is gone. Instant throttle response. Took it for VERY short ride up the street. The street is wet so I didn't open it up but DANG this thing rips! 1st thru 3rd I'm smokin' the rear tire at HALF throttle. Had to back out of it because I caught a little truck. Took her back up to 3rd, pulled the front end up, banged 4th, caught the truck again. Went home very happy. I love XR650Rs!!:ride: Bruce

Stock engine? Man you are really testing me here!!:busted:

Is someone going to be looking for an "R" ?? R R R R R R E-bay is calling..

one clip position makes! This 650R I have now I've only ridden a few times on very short rides. The other one I sold was plated and when I felt I needed a 650R fix I road it. The one I have now always felt less lively and had a slight bog right off the bottom. So I kinda figured it was a bit lean. They are both uncorked, stock exhaust with open end cap. Well I was dinkin' around in the garage and decided to pull the carb and have a look. Nice and clean. 170 main 65s pilot cool. Checked the needle and it was on the second from the top. Changed it to third from top. Wholly sheep dip, what a difference! The bog is gone. Instant throttle response. Took it for VERY short ride up the street. The street is wet so I didn't open it up but DANG this thing rips! 1st thru 3rd I'm smokin' the rear tire at HALF throttle. Had to back out of it because I caught a little truck. Took her back up to 3rd, pulled the front end up, banged 4th, caught the truck again. Went home very happy. I love XR650Rs!!:banghead: Bruce

Really cool to read this happy rider!

:busted:

After reading this, it got me to thinking; what if I bumped mine to second notch from the bottom? The bike can be kind of hard to start when its hot, and after adjusting the needle on my quad, I tried in on the 650.

So far its been easier to start, but I haven't had the chance to really open it up yet because its snow everywhere here...