xrl fork question

If you have an older XRL, you can use the drain bolts on the fork legs.

If not, you have to pull 'em and tip 'em over, unless someone has a trick.

I'm not sure how much oil over stock you can add, you'd be better off shimming the springs a bit and/or using thicker oil.

What's your weight, and what kind of riding do you do?

Dave

I find it's easier to ,,Loosen the top end covers..Remove the forks.Undo the bottom oil drain bolt.Take the two top covers off and remove the spring..Push the fork up and down and all the oil will be ejected..Refill with AutoTransFluid or whatever fancy oil you use.,,Actually I suppose you could just leave them in place with the wheel on but remove the top spring,,Then you can simply push them up and down and the oil will all come out the bottom..Much more efficient method...Warning...You will need a largish container to catch the ejecting oil as it tends to spray rather a long way when you expand and contract the forks.

If you have an older XRL, you can use the drain bolts on the fork legs.

If not, you have to pull 'em and tip 'em over, unless someone has a trick.

I'm not sure how much oil over stock you can add, you'd be better off shimming the springs a bit and/or using thicker oil.

What's your weight, and what kind of riding do you do?

Dave

Bike is an 02,my weight is 215lbs. riding is usually mild DSing but I do see some trails and single track at times. I'm not sure what shimmimng is:confused:

Shimming sounds technical aye..All it is is placing a washer or some such inside the fork on top of the spring to give it more stiffness.Their is no problem adding a bit more oil if you want stiffer suspension..You won't need a lot to achieve that.Happens easily if you fail to measure correctly.

Adding oil helps, but don't put too much in or you risk the seals. I've run a little over the max that Honda recommends. In order to help prevent bottoming, I also ran ATF. That helped big hits, but made it much harsher over the small stuff.

At your weight stiffer springs are what you really need. I have stiffer springs and max level ATF at this time, and it is a great improvement.