Aluminium fuel tank

I'm onto this now.

Any info on manufacturers, shops. Found only this site.

Just want to conclude a price range of new and used ones.

Mostly looking on ebay, used at 330$

sth like this.

Which model would it fit, since it has only 2 screws for shrouds, probably all 98 to 02 models?

0073_1.JPG

I want one for my 08

So why do people want/need an AL tank?

Because they are expensive, some of the pros have used them on works bikes, and very few people have them. There really isn't an advantage, if anything I'd say they are a disadvantage because they can dent. If I mess up a plastic gas tank I can have a new one for $100. I'll stick with plastic.

How do you explain the welds around the seat platform and shroud mount points? Just because someone was skilled enough to form a curve into the tank sides doesn't mean it's not aluminum.

i noticed the beads but the blotchiness and patches look extremely close to paint, or maybe he painted the tank for whatever reason. but it undoubtedly looks like its been painted.

Octane loss is less, because through plastic, fuel slowly evaporates and becomes poor, in alu it stays ritch. minor but hey...

Some say plastic tank cant be repaired, but alu sure can be welded and also anodized any colour possible.

I think they're cool. I would like one but not looking like that

How do you explain the welds around the seat platform and shroud mount points? Just because someone was skilled enough to form a curve into the tank sides doesn't mean it's not aluminum.

Yup, it's amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with a planishing hammer or "Yodel" machine...look at the windscreen fairings on most fighters from the "century Series" and earlier...all done by hand...

So why do people want/need an AL tank?

for FI, you will have to have an AL tank...there's a pump in there which must be grounded, and a fuel return that could result in positive pressure if the tank vent plugs.

Also, for "Green Sticker" bikes, Cali now requires a double wall plastic tank to minimize vapor loss thru the plastic (Yamaha WRs have a double wall, Honda uses some kind of coating). An aluminum tank doesn't "bleed"