Turn signal question

I bought a set of turn signals from procycle for my 06 XR650l, and when I installed them they didn't flash. I switched the wires around several different ways, but still can't get them to blink. The kit I ordered is #5 in this link http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm. Do I need to purchase the turn signal flasher (item #8) to make these work? Or am I just retarded. :banghead:

• Like 1

I bought a set of turn signals from procycle for my 06 XR650l, and when I installed them they didn't flash. I switched the wires around several different ways, but still can't get them to blink. The kit I ordered is #5 in this link http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm. Do I need to purchase the turn signal flasher (item #8) to make these work? Or am I just retarded. :busted:

Just retarded.

:banghead:

You are replacing blinkers because,..........

- the old ones stopped blinking, even with new bulbs

- the old ones were trashed

- the old ones were ugly and big

You probably just need a flasher: find the flasher, unplug the wires, short them together (for no longer than a few seconds) and try the turn signals. If they light up, it's the flasher. If they don't, it's not.

You are replacing blinkers because,..........

- the old ones stopped blinking, even with new bulbs

- the old ones were trashed

- the old ones were ugly and big

You probably just need a flasher: find the flasher, unplug the wires, short them together (for no longer than a few seconds) and try the turn signals. If they light up, it's the flasher. If they don't, it's not.

- the old ones were ugly and big. Thanks for helping, I'll try that tomorrow. I feel really dumb asking this... but where is the flasher located? :banghead:

check on the amount fo draw on the new bulbs, or take the old ones and rehook them up to see if the flasher works, if it does you need a resistor/voltage regulator. if not its your flasher

I hooked up the old lights on the right side of my bike and they worked great. I will look into getting a resistor to make the new lights work. Thanks for the help.

Buy the cheapest automotive flasher you can. Replace your stock flasher. The cheaper the flasher the easier it flashes......... Don't buy a " heavy duty ' flasher. They reley on more resistance to trip the circuit. Smaller lights require less resistance to trip the flasher. We run small bulbs that none of our bikes stock trip!! Try less load flashers. If it doesn't work, they make a programmable type. good luck

• Like 1

Buy the cheapest automotive flasher you can. Replace your stock flasher. The cheaper the flasher the easier it flashes......... Don't buy a " heavy duty ' flasher. They reley on more resistance to trip the circuit. Smaller lights require less resistance to trip the flasher. We run small bulbs that none of our bikes stock trip!! Try less load flashers. If it doesn't work, they make a programmable type. good luck

Thanks a million Absynth! I went to the auto parts store and bought the cheapest flasher I could find and it worked. I'll post up some pics of my new turn signals, brake light and liscense plate relocation later. I'll also include the part number for the flasher in case anyone else runs into this problem. :banghead:

Thanks a million Absynth! I went to the auto parts store and bought the cheapest flasher I could find and it worked. I'll post up some pics of my new turn signals, brake light and liscense plate relocation later. I'll also include the part number for the flasher in case anyone else runs into this problem. :banghead:

Looking forward to the pics and part number as I am doing the same thing. I bought some small, flush mounted turn signals and they won't flash, although the stock ones work fine. Thanks!

Okay fellas, here's the pics from my little fat trimming project. In order to make the turn signals work I had to buy a cheapo turn signal flasher after Absynth pointed me in the right direction, thanks man. The signal flasher I bought is made by Tridon and the part number is 552. The tail light install went really smooth. Here's the pics:

front turn signals:

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

rear signals, brake light, and license plate relocation:

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

License plate bracket I made out of 18ga steel. I welded two small allen screws to it and painted it black. It fits through the rubber grommets that the old tail light bolts went through on the rear fender.

IMG_1307.jpg

I'd say close to 4 lbs of trimmings :banghead:

IMG_1311.jpg

I really appreciate all the people that tried to help me get my flasher problem figured out. I'm new to motorcycles and this probably isn't the last time I'm going to need help or ask retarded questions LOL.

anyone know where you can order one of the cheap flasher relays? I put on some tiny lockhart phillips turn signals and I have been dealing with the same nonsence. Just a small part of my weight reduction plan on my xr650l

anyone know where you can order one of the cheap flasher relays? I put on some tiny lockhart phillips turn signals and I have been dealing with the same nonsence. Just a small part of my weight reduction plan on my xr650l

I got mine from Baja Designs. Looks like a good quality flasher. plugs right into existing electrical (when you ask for pre-installes male electrical ends) and it'll run the smallest of LED's...no more clicking noise either

(like that matters).

Yeah ditch that extra weight and stock signals. My 600R has small carbon fiber rears, and the acerbis fronts built into the guards. I have a new round of C/F fronts and rears for the 650L. I originally bought the 600R and guess what. Someone spent all this money putting ungrades on it and couldn't get the electrical to work! Signals included! Boy was he pissed when I replaced the flasher with a 552, and bypassed his lighting and ignition circuit. Was riding it that night. My wifes Dr350es has taken a few spills, and broke a few blinkers to boot. When I replaced her blinkers with smaller ones, It wouldn't flash. Same deal.

The downside is, they aren't as fail proof as the programmable type or electronic type. But at $2.00 they are an easy fix, and can be found anywhere (walmart and such), or carried on the bike or person. Notice the stock bike ones are usually rubber mounted. I simply zip tie a piece of hose around the topside of the flasher, with the zip going between the terminals. Then I zip tie the unit, rubberside down, to a fixed point. I've got 800+rough miles on this 552 flasher, and no failure yet.:banghead: