YZM400f Prototype

Can anyone tell me when Yamaha built it's first YZ400f prototype motor. I'm hoping it was before Dec 1995.

I don't know the exact date, but it would have been before that, I would think. They had one ready to go in 1997, of course, and before that could happen, there had to be the design (the brain child of one particular Yamaha engineer), which had to be sold to the corporate directors (which was not, apparently, easily done), then the working prototype built to show the AMA to get their approval. After that, the production prototype would need to be tooled up and built, and final approval from the AMA, all in time to be ready for January of '97.

So, yeah, I'd say it would have been a near miracle outside of WWII industrial America for the prototype power plant to have been built later than 12/95.

If I may ask...why before December 1995? just curious...

I'm looking to race with a post classic club here in Australia and the cut off is 1 December 1995. So I need some proof that the engine existed in some form prior to that date.

I know what your thinking, there must be an easier way to go racing but I'm old and a bit post classic myself so it sort of fits.

That's not going to work, IMO, because the complete bike didn't exist at all officially until 1997, when it was a prototype only. It was not available to the public until 1998.

I know what your saying but I just need the engine to have existed in some form in 1995. The rest of the bike doesn't matter.

I know what your saying but I just need the engine to have existed in some form in 1995. The rest of the bike doesn't matter.

Still wont fly. The YZM motor was in no way shape or form like the motor that ended up in the YZ400F.