looking to buy 06' 450, need some advice.

Well, i found a good deal on an 06', and im seriously looking into buying it. The problem is, the dealership it is at, there are two people there, i beleive there co-owners. One of them says that the bike has been very well taken care of, but raced hard for 2 years. He says that he put new piston and rings, and new valve springs in it mid last summer. The other one seems to be kind of steering me away from it. I visually inspected it myself, and it seems to be in very good shape, and not that high of hours. It has the original grafix, original bars, not to much scuffing on the frame, original exhause with no major dents in it. I no that these yzf's are very reliable, but how reliable? When i bought my 03' i knew it was low hours, but they tell me this 06' is high hours. If this bike was well maintained like he says, do you think that the engine is still in good shape?

I would be weary of a bike that the owners of a dealership are steering you away from. Dealerships are businesses trying to make money. There are two types of salesmen, those who will lie to make a sale, and those who are honest hoping that their honesty gets hem the sale. Seeing that both guys said the bike has high hours, I doubt they would tell you that as a lie, so it is most likely the truth. If these guys are the lying type then "It has a lot of hours but was well maintained" really means "This bike was run into the ground with more hours than you could ever imagine and then the stock plastic and exhaust that were taken off when it was near new were put back on".

If it was maintained well,(frequent oil changes, valves checked, air filter cleaned) and has a new piston, rings, valve springs then it should be all right even with high hours. a bike can run forever if maintained properly and parts replaced now and then. the yamahas are very realiable. ask more questions bout it like oil cahnges and stuff and look it over really well, then if all seems good to you..... go for it. :banghead:

I would be weary of a bike that the owners of a dealership are steering you away from. Dealerships are businesses trying to make money. There are two types of salesmen, those who will lie to make a sale, and those who are honest hoping that their honesty gets hem the sale. Seeing that both guys said the bike has high hours, I doubt they would tell you that as a lie, so it is most likely the truth. If these guys are the lying type then "It has a lot of hours but was well maintained" really means "This bike was run into the ground with more hours than you could ever imagine and then the stock plastic and exhaust that were taken off when it was near new were put back on".

KJ did bring up good points tho.

i trust them completly, im on a first name greeting with them. The one that says its in good shape is the mechanic, he went over it and says the compression is great and everything. I think the other one just is just trying to causion me, he knows my bike is low hours.

I have an 06 with 60 hrs on it and it is perfect. now Im no expert either these guys -16 yr old kids especially will totally kill a bike from the inside out in 60 hrs. there are so many bike options out there you should never buy a high hr bike. there are still 06 07 bikes in the crate for 5000.00 why bother even if that bike was 2500 it wouldnt be worth it and if it wasnt shot he wouldnt sell it for that. I know I couldnt or wouldnt sell mine for anywhere near that and its mint and im a slow sr c rider. now if you cant afford 5 k for new then I would look for a sr c riders bike and no kids or expert bikes

I personally would ask the dealership for any warranty period if you buy from them. I am sure you will pay more from a dealer for it vs a private seller. So ask the dealer to put some skin in the game. 6mo warranty. They probably will not do it....my guess. So I would shop more there are tons of used 06s out there that have very little use or hrs....it would be easy to find one with under 30hrs...private seller......just ask GreyRacer he bought on like this:thumbsup:

i trust them completly, im on a first name greeting with them. The one that says its in good shape is the mechanic, he went over it and says the compression is great and everything. I think the other one just is just trying to causion me, he knows my bike is low hours.

How does he know the compressions great???????? A leak down test you mean???? How you gonna check the compression on a bike with an automatic decompressor?

How does he know the compressions great???????? A leak down test you mean???? How you gonna check the compression on a bike with an automatic decompressor?

Yes he did a leak down test, and he said it was perfect. Im starting to think the other person at the dealership is just a little misinformed about the bike. It is the head mechanic i was talking to that had good news about it. Oh and trust me, where i am, there isnt really that many bikes around, unless i go to toronto then there all pro race bikes for sale and i dont want one of those.