HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BergArabia

Tire change drama

33 posts in this topic

I just got the weirdest most random phone call from the bike shop.

The mechanic told me that the new tires (sand snake) had too hard a rubber and he couldn't put them on the bike. He put one tire on but spoiled the tube in so doing so asked me for 30 bucks for a new tube..:ride::D

Anyways the service manager got on the phone and told me to ignore the call..

I want to ride tomorrow and need one more tire change, I think they close in another hour or so. OK maybe 2 hours..

This is what we call a Doha moment:banghead: :banghead::busted:

Man, I would never call a customer and ask for another 30 bucks to replace something that I damaged. What was he thinking?

What was he thinking?
He's in the Middle East. Their customer service philosophy over there is, um, different.

He's in the Middle East. Their customer service philosophy over there is, um, different.

Apparently their tire changing technique is too!:banghead:

Apparently their tire changing technique is too!:banghead:
Actually, it sounds just like the standard US $8/hr goon method to me. But here the goons don't have the nuts to get on the phone and extort money from the customer.

hey I guess it could have been worse.....:busted:

Berg - someone rich, like some Sheik needs to drop about a billion metric tons of real dirt over there for you......dirt tires are easier to mount.....:banghead:

Get some good tire irons. Changing the tires isn't so bad with the correct irons and proceedure. I think Dirt Rider had a write-up on changing tires some time ago, it was a good read. If the "professional" shop cannot mount tires, then it's time to find a new shop! Certainly don't let them near your bike for anything more important than tires!

That would have been me, right after I found out that one of my guys called a customer and asked him to pay for a tube the my guy destroyed 'cause he can't mount tires. (what I wouldn't have told you is that I gave him the rest of the day off to think about whether he has a future in the business or not.) I broke customer's stuff "a few times" over the years, but they never had to pay for it.

In the 40 years I have worked on motorcycles I have no idea how many tires I have changed(not including at the races for 25 years) I have pinched tubes

on customers bikes......But would never tell them..much less ask for more money...What a Dope..

so is 30 dollars for an 8 dollar tube. It pays to be smarter than the tire when mounting.

That would have been me, right after I found out that one of my guys called a customer and asked him to pay for a tube the my guy destroyed 'cause he can't mount tires. (what I wouldn't have told you is that I gave him the rest of the day off to think about whether he has a future in the business or not.) I broke customer's stuff "a few times" over the years, but they never had to pay for it.

That should have gotten him fired. I think everybody has pinched a tube or three in there lifetime. That one should have been put on the shops tab.

Hi.... Captainknobby here at your service!......No really! tire changeing is not that hard....just time consuming but isnt everything else also. Just remember when changing tires is make sure you get the tube all the way in and when putting the tire on just take small bites, I repeat! small bites is the trick and dont put the tire iron all the way in just enough to get it to hold on the rim. The first half of the tire is easy to get on its just the last foot or so around the tire that is hard but if you take small bites you will see how easy it is to change a tire. Remember SMALL BITES!

Yeah well that was the end result..

I got only one tire mounted and the shop ate the damage to the tube.

Cost to me.. about 15 dollars. I usually pay about 30 but I think they gave me a discount to make me feel better. The service manager is pretty good. I guess he will be doing some 'training' of the tire changing staff.

Meanwhile I have one tire that didn't get changed. I have to find someone to do it or else as suggested here get some tire irons and try it myself..

This is a good video of how to change a tire easily:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

Yep. Paid to have a paddle mounted once because I had no idea what to do. Watched the video and I've done 7 changes now. Knowing how saved me once as I was out at the dunes and got a flat. Save quite a bit of $$$$ so far and it'll only grow. And it makes yah feel good :banghead:

I have no idea how many tires I have changed
Me either. I don't even know many tubes I've pinched. But the upside is that I only vaguely recall the last tube I ruined. Doesn't happen very often any more.

I would buy the irons and try it myself....it isnt really terrible...even I can do em pretty good now.

now back when me and the buds were only 13-14...and even skinnier...took all three of us to change one rear :banghead:

I just got the weirdest most random phone call from the bike shop.

The mechanic told me that the new tires (sand snake) had too hard a rubber and he couldn't put them on the bike. He put one tire on but spoiled the tube in so doing so asked me for 30 bucks for a new tube..:ride::D

I want to ride tomorrow and need one more tire change, I think they close in another hour or so. OK maybe 2 hours..

This is what we call a Doha moment:banghead: :banghead::busted:

I have heard those diet coke third world tire irons inherantly pinch tubes very easy. :D

You would have thunk the mechanic would have put the tire out in the hot DESERT sun to warm it up a bit.......

:D