Any overheat issues with 650L?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new '08 L.

I a searching for all the info I can find on the bike. I have come across the fact that the bike has a potential to overheat (being air cooled, no oil cooler).

Is overheating rare. I just plan to ride on the street and some trail riding.

Thanks,

deck

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overheating and seize up is extremely rare,,,these are bulletproof bikes.

Where do you live and in what aire temps will you be riding? Nebraska?? No way that thing will over heat.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new '08 L.

I a searching for all the info I can find on the bike. I have come across the fact that the bike has a potential to overheat (being air cooled, no oil cooler).

Is overheating rare. I just plan to ride on the street and some trail riding.

Thanks,

deck

They do get hot, but it takes some pretty severe conditions to cause damaging overheating. Think of conditions where you are asking for a lot of power, but there is very little airflow. Riding in sand dunes is one situation and really technical steep single track is another. Add in high temperatures and it makes it even more likely. How do I know? I have done some damage to my XR600 this way.

In normal riding over heating is very unlikely. On the street the worst thing is sitting in traffic on a hot summer day. The good thing is that the bike generally tells you that it is unhappy. Mine starts pinging and just in general starts running poorly.

I have found that I have more heat resistance than many non fan equipped water pumpers. They are puking out coolant and I'm still going strong.

Im in CALI desert and pullin me around in summer 100+ tems the highest ive seen is 250 and that was crusing home from work on freeway, SO dont be worried thats all stock and just adding a XR400 oil cooler and you wont have any worries for anywhere in the world for overheating.

Thanks guys. I won't be doing any dessert racing or thrashing off anykind. I plan to use as a commuter in town (town of 20K people) and riding around the country side (lots of corn fields and rivers). I'm an old moto crosser and it's been a while since I've had a bike. The wife and three kids side tracked me. Now I can financially afford a toy again. I once had a DR500 and loved the old thumper. I have always wanted an XR. I love riding motorcyles and don't mind paying more for quality. Years ago, there were a lot of XR's around my area. I never see them anymore, as a matter of fact all I see on the streets these days are crotch rockets and cruisers. I have been pricing new XR's in my area and the dealers say that no one buys them anymore mainly because of the higher prices. This NE Nebraska area sells more KLR's.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Deck

Sadly the XRL's have went the way of the dinosaurs. At one time they were the hot selling ticket. A Honda dealer I know only sold one XRL last year.

I still love the XR's an will always own a few of them.

My favorite is the XL600R.

Buy it you will love the bike, just don't expect it to be a rocketship.

I wonder if the sales thing is regional. The dealer I've used here in Jersey for my past five bikes claims he only gets a few each year and they don't last long. I thought I was fortunate to get mine. Then again, there are so few legal riding areas here for unregistered vehicles it may make sense.

As far as the overheating issue, don't forget to re-jet properly, that will be a big help.

I wonder if the sales thing is regional. The dealer I've used here in Jersey for my past five bikes claims he only gets a few each year and they don't last long. I thought I was fortunate to get mine. Then again, there are so few legal riding areas here for unregistered vehicles it may make sense.

As far as the overheating issue, don't forget to re-jet properly, that will be a big help.

I think you could be right Bibleman.

Great thinking on the regional sales thought.

My son owns a Honda dealership here an sold two this year.

He still has a few left over if anyone wants one.

They are damn good bikes an I wouldn't buy anything but a Honda. hehe

Back in the day he couldn't keep one on the floor.

I think people are ready for something new from big red.

I'll keep my old bike tho, I like the ole bugger.

deck99,

I just bought an '07 and if I was going to have one bike in the garage it would be an XR650L.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on mine so far but I love it. No complaints so far and I really don't expect to have any. I've had it on everything from tight single track to on the highway (haven't ventured out on the interstate yet). It's true what they say..It's so fun it feels like it should be illegal.

deck99,

I just bought an '07 and if I was going to have one bike in the garage it would be an XR650L.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on mine so far but I love it. No complaints so far and I really don't expect to have any. I've had it on everything from tight single track to on the highway (haven't ventured out on the interstate yet). It's true what they say..It's so fun it feels like it should be illegal.

They really are the perfect do it all bike. Not great in any element, but good in all elements. Where they are great is that they are good in all elements!:banghead:

You will probably want to open the air flow up a bit and re-jet it as they come from Honda kinda choked down and lean running, which causes it to run hotter than necessary.

bingo...my 05 rips after re-jetting. you can get a temp gauge for it if you're still worried...clicky

1679.jpg

I dont no if the 650L would generate more heat than a 250L, but i used my XR250L when i did a motocycle safety cource. There was a group of 20 bikes, and we all had to sit in line to wait to go through the next obstacle. Well i occational shut the bike off and rolled it forward, but i proble had it sitting and idleing for 6-8 minites at a time throughout a 6 hour day (The instuctors told you to leave the bike running:confused: ) well it was proble a 85 degree day, no problems at all, one of the Harley guys overheated before me:p

Hey b2....just wondering about the re-jetting. I am new to the forum, and I am going to be picking up and 07' 650L in a week or two. I have read about all kinds of mods, the primary one that everyone seems to do is the smog pump removal, so I guess that is a must. But I have read many places that it runs lean, and I was wondering what size jets you used? I decided to keep my Suzuki 1500 for the road and pick up the XRL for dirt roads/fire trails. I am a big guy (6'5" @ 290#), so I will be re-springing it too, thats first on the list!

Thanks,

Dave

Hey b2....just wondering about the re-jetting. I am new to the forum, and I am going to be picking up and 07' 650L in a week or two. I have read about all kinds of mods, the primary one that everyone seems to do is the smog pump removal, so I guess that is a must. But I have read many places that it runs lean, and I was wondering what size jets you used? I decided to keep my Suzuki 1500 for the road and pick up the XRL for dirt roads/fire trails. I am a big guy (6'5" @ 290#), so I will be re-springing it too, thats first on the list!

Thanks,

Dave

158/55 is a good place to start. make sure to shim/drill the slide too. remve the snorkel then get a uni FOAM filter. K&N is no good. Lets too much fine particulate through. Then, get a good aft. mkt. slip on exhaust. Will make a world of difference!

Welcome to TT!