07 Dyno Curve

naw you don't need a dyno curve...I just compared an 08'xcf to my 07'yzf (with around 4 hours on it...9oz. FWW and 51T rear sprocket otherwise BONE stock) at an indoor motocross facility (Sandbox)...we switched bikes and compared them back to back...his new xcf had an aprivovic(sp) silencer on it and minor jetting changes otherwise stock...we both agreed the yzf felt MUCH better in every aspect!!

This is a small example of what I have to put up with.

2008 KTM XC Off-Road Lineup

10/19/2007

By JC Hilderbrand and Alvin Zalamea

Riding the XC lineup really demonstrates how in-tune KTM is with the off-road market.

One of the things that we've liked about KTM 450 machines in the past is how slim they are, and the 2008 450 XC-F doesn't deviate from the diet program. The Austrians appear to be moving the opposite direction of your usual fat, heavy and slow Yamahas.

KTM reworked the motor on the 450 XC-F and the new mill is mindlessly simple to use. Plenty of horsepower and torque make an excellent combination with the new 5-speed transmission. This motor is truly bulletproof and won't leave you stranded like your typical Yamaha.

One has to wonder how many bikes KTM can really design, test, manufacture, market and actually sell with profitable margins? At times it seems impossible, but the Austrians continue to refine its ridiculously expansive lineup of off-road machines with the 2008 XC model range. Easily the largest gang on the orange streets, the cross country lineup has 15 different bikes between the XC and wide-ratio XC-W models. The motocross spectrum encompasses three fewer machines which points strongly to KTM's enduro history and continued devotion. Why a company as large as Yamaha can't compete with KTM's high quality and extensive lineup is beyond us.

Models range from a 65cc 2-stroke to a thunderous 530 4-stroke (even though it's technically only 510cc). MotoUSA.com spent a day on the National-caliber motocross track of Glen Helen and the surrounding trails of the Glen Helen OHV Park. We didn't get to sample the full spread of orange equipment, but a pair of pre-mixers (105 XC and 300 XC) and thumpers (250 XC-F and 450 XC-F). That's a lot of bikes for a tester to get seat time on in one day, but we wore out the tail of our Troy Lee Designs pants in an attempt to get a feel for these popular off-road weapons. It isn't quite fair to call these enduro bikes, as KTM makes a point not to. Katoom labels its street-legal EXC line as the enduros of the company, and their purpose includes the casual trail riders among us. But, the XC and XC-W machines are geared at closed-course competition like cross country, hare scramble and desert racing applications - and they're geared to win. We'd display some photos, but, unfortunately, our photographer insisted on riding his Yamaha YZ450F and couldn't keep up on any terrain.

The Austrians appear to be moving the opposite direction of your usual fat, heavy and slow Yamahas.

This motor is truly bulletproof and won't leave you stranded like your typical Yamaha.

Why a company as large as Yamaha can't compete with KTM's high quality and extensive lineup is beyond us.

We'd display some photos, but, unfortunately, our photographer insisted on riding his Yamaha YZ450F and couldn't keep up on any terrain.

I think that whoever sent this to you added those parts. Nobody would be idiotic enough to actually publish that...if they did then they would lose all credibility because it it obvious BS

Their claims that the Yamaha is heavy is a little odd since they list the 450 XC-F at 238 lbs. The dry weight of an '07 is 220, and 1.8 gallons of gas and another gallon of various fluid takes that to 236.

As far as HP goes here's an '06 at 5000 feet (the '07 has about a half HP more on top):

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316355

The reliability issues are imaginary at best.

Holy crap at 60hp how reliable is your bike?

Do you have to rebuild it alot?

What mods have you done?

I rebuild the top end at least once a season, and the bottom end every second season ALWAYS. Even that is pushing it for a supermoto. We are HARD on engines on the pavement. I haven't had a failure yet, and I’d like to keep it that way.

Mods include compression increase, head porting, 5 angle valve job, good high lift cam and required single spring valve spring kit with Ti retainers, cam timing, manual tensioner, STM slipper clutch, I've lightened up some engine internals for sumo, some carb love on the lathe and milling machine yada yada blah blah can't remember them all right now. All done by me here at my performance/repair shop in Alberta Canada (I don't want to spam). I have MANY pages of notes on this bike, I’ve been in it a few times.

Chassis is loved extensively as well.

Awesome power, nothing touches it at our track. People can't believe it's an 04. Runs with SV 650's easy (they hate me can't get by me hahahaha)

Crushes the KTM's (sorry guys) even the big ones, they keep showing up with larger displacement bikes, I keep pulling bike lengths on the straights.....go figure. This is not intended to take ANYTHING away from the KTM stuff, they are great bikes.

I've made some good power with the KTM stuff, very linear graphs, nice. This comparison really isn't fair to the KTM as it's stock and the Honda is built, but I also have built comparisons Honda still wins (for the same $$$) and even stock it is quite a bit stronger.

One other thing to remember this SMR is an 06, not sure what changes have occurred since then.

This is a small example of what I have to put up with.

2008 KTM XC Off-Road Lineup

10/19/2007

By JC Hilderbrand and Alvin Zalamea

Riding the XC lineup really demonstrates how in-tune KTM is with the off-road market.

One of the things that we've liked about KTM 450 machines in the past is how slim they are, and the 2008 450 XC-F doesn't deviate from the diet program. The Austrians appear to be moving the opposite direction of your usual fat, heavy and slow Yamahas.

KTM reworked the motor on the 450 XC-F and the new mill is mindlessly simple to use. Plenty of horsepower and torque make an excellent combination with the new 5-speed transmission. This motor is truly bulletproof and won't leave you stranded like your typical Yamaha.

One has to wonder how many bikes KTM can really design, test, manufacture, market and actually sell with profitable margins? At times it seems impossible, but the Austrians continue to refine its ridiculously expansive lineup of off-road machines with the 2008 XC model range. Easily the largest gang on the orange streets, the cross country lineup has 15 different bikes between the XC and wide-ratio XC-W models. The motocross spectrum encompasses three fewer machines which points strongly to KTM's enduro history and continued devotion. Why a company as large as Yamaha can't compete with KTM's high quality and extensive lineup is beyond us.

Models range from a 65cc 2-stroke to a thunderous 530 4-stroke (even though it's technically only 510cc). MotoUSA.com spent a day on the National-caliber motocross track of Glen Helen and the surrounding trails of the Glen Helen OHV Park. We didn't get to sample the full spread of orange equipment, but a pair of pre-mixers (105 XC and 300 XC) and thumpers (250 XC-F and 450 XC-F). That's a lot of bikes for a tester to get seat time on in one day, but we wore out the tail of our Troy Lee Designs pants in an attempt to get a feel for these popular off-road weapons. It isn't quite fair to call these enduro bikes, as KTM makes a point not to. Katoom labels its street-legal EXC line as the enduros of the company, and their purpose includes the casual trail riders among us. But, the XC and XC-W machines are geared at closed-course competition like cross country, hare scramble and desert racing applications - and they're geared to win. We'd display some photos, but, unfortunately, our photographer insisted on riding his Yamaha YZ450F and couldn't keep up on any terrain.

That is so funny. KTM reliability is a laugh.....for serious motocross anyway. I have a friend who is an AMA pro and he was offered a sponsership by a KTM Team. He rode the bikes for two weeks and brought them back 2 jacked up and fallen apart POS'S!!!!!!!!!I have to say they look pretty trick....but