HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikesbaron

Will XR600 engine fit XR400 chassis?

22 posts in this topic

Considering the 600 swap to the XR chassis for the better bodywork look (seat/rear fender) , height and front suspension (Yeah, yeah I know it's not much but btter than the XR600 front end).

b33.jpg

Honda-1996-2004-XR400R-large.gif

Don't know about that one.What I can tell you is that an XL600..83 up motor will fit in and XR500-RE frame.I'm doing one at present.It's tight and needs a bit of manipulating but it goes in using the stock mounts..I'm rapt to discover that as it saves me trying to find an RE motor.

ummm, at first i'd vote no but i'm not sure the distance of the swing arm pivot and front motor mount. And front mount to the top frame mount.

GAS AXE and grinder!

I was tol on ADvrider that it won't fit because the 400 pivots with the frame/swingarm and the XR600 doesn't. I want the 400 chassis but need the cruising power and reliability of the XR400.

I wonder about stroking the 400, how much cc would that get?

I was tol on ADvrider that it won't fit because the 400 pivots with the frame/swingarm and the XR600 doesn't. I want the 400 chassis but need the cruising power and reliability of the XR400.

Boy, it seems like you are going to a lot of trouble, to re-invent the wheel. If you want reliability, stroking a XR400 is not really going to get you that.

There should be a wealth of information on this topic over in the xr400 forum...the only help that can be provided here is: Buy an XR650R!!! :banghead:

From the point of the suspension.....The XR400 sucks! Wait did I say sucks? I ment really sucks! I do suspensions mainly for XR's and there is not much to work with on the XR400's forks. If you at least went with XR650R forks you would have something. The kick starter working on the XR600R motor in the XR400R frame should be an issue if it does fit, after you cut and weld the fram to fit the bigger engine. I have two soon to be three XR400's and have had many XR6's. the XR6 engine case is longer, there is no room for the bigger engine but, you might be able to make room and not change the rake?

prolly not even worth it but it CAN be done just will take alot and i wouldnt do it myself.

You can make your XR600R look exactly or better than a XR400R for the price of an A-Loop kit....then you don;t need to buy an XR400 chassis or swap anything but the tank seat and fenders and crap....

Yeah I don't lik ehow the XR600 seat doesn't flow at all into the rear of the fender. If somoene had a fix for that I might be happy with the XR6.

Yeah I don't lik ehow the XR600 seat doesn't flow at all into the rear of the fender. If somoene had a fix for that I might be happy with the XR6.

thats an easy fix ........ ride it!! The seat/fender area looks better with a rider on it :banghead:

The someone of whom you speak is A-Loop check out their website.

I think the idea of a XR600R engine in a XR400R frame is a great idea. The XR400 frame is a bit more rigid and may be just a tad lighter. I wish Honda had just done more R&D with the older XR600R engine and frame rather than the larger / heavier and more unreliable XR650. At least for us woods riders. I know the XR600R engine only puts out about 40hp but it is never below 22hp at anytime and is super reliable and easy to handle. I never had anybike out run my XR600r down a straight. Maybe stay with it but never out run it. You can't put more than 40hp down on the ground in the dirt anyway. More power just means more top speed and the XR600 already will do 95-100mph anyway.

IMO,

Dwight

Guts racing has tall foam and covers that will reshape the seat quite a bit. Try a Maier MX fender with the seat too. I have both combined with a different headlight on my 86 XR250 and they really make for a different look. Swapping a motor so the seat looks better seems a bit extreme to me. A 600 engine is a bunch larger than a 400 and will never fit the 400 frame without numerous cuts and lengthening. The 600 fits in the 83/84 XR500 frame but it's even tight there cause the overall frame height is shorter than a 600 while the 500/600 engines are exactly the same external dimensions.

Yep you're right, def better looking!

aloop02.jpg Not a fan of these black rims though. YUCK.

IMG_0247_600.jpg

The XR6 won't work in a XR4 chassis, "well I guess you can make anything work with enough money and time", and black rims show all the nicks and scratches, never was a fan of them either.