HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wild Turkey

Grease question

8 posts in this topic

I have a tub of Belray Waterproof grease that I use for everything from bearings to the airfilter lip, seems to work fine.

Most any kind of grease will work. The waterproof greases will offer a little better resistance to water. I use moly lithium grease for the swingarm and linkage bearings as those bearings need all the lube help that they can get.

If you are going to pump some in the zerk fitting, it's important not to mix different soap base greases. These days most greases are lithium based so it might not be as much of an issue, but I'm not sure.

Pumping in more grease is no substitute for a real disassembly, cleaning , and regreasing. If it's been more than a few years it's time to take it apart.

I have a tub of Belray Waterproof grease that I use for everything from bearings to the airfilter lip, seems to work fine.

i use Maxima grease but this one and many others are fine

Like it has been said,any grease is better than no grease at all.I got a little bit lazy and had to spend a few $$$ getting new bearings and spent a whole afternoon drilling the pivot bolt out.Yep,money that could have bought new parts and time not spent ridding.Have you checked your steering stem bearings lately?They're known to come with too little grease from factory....Good luck.

i use corrosion block brand marine/wheel bearing grease. water proof and has extra corrosion protection. My dad sells it to fisherman for their boats and equipment. works really well.